1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Getting out of the harm's way, taking the sting out.

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Badtemper, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Badtemper New Member

Italy
    Italian/Slovene - bilingual
    Hello,

this is the excerpt I need to translate:
    "..it can implement a number of initiatives for muting [the weapon's] impact. We see several ways of doing this: get out of the harm's way, take the sting out of the agents of violence, disable the weapons...".

It probably heps knowing that the quote comes from a strategy textbook.

What buggles me are the two idiomatic expressions underlined. Any idea about how to translate them?

Thank you.

2. Matrap

Matrap Est Mod In Rebus

Abruzzo, Italy
    Italiano
    Ciao :)

Dovresti proporre comunque un tuo tentativo di traduzione...
    Hai letto questa discussione?

3. Badtemper New Member

Italy
    Salve,
    la discussione è fuori contesto a mio avviso. O perlomeno, a me non sembra che alleviare il dolore possa andare.

La traduzione che avevo in mente per "getting out of the harm's way" era "togliersi dalla linea di fuoco", ma è una traduzione molto "concreta", presuporrebbe che il nemico stia già facendo fuoco, mentre ho la sensazione che il significato sia più generico, un "levarsi dalle scatole" detto in modo molto più fine

Quanto a "taking the sting out" sono absolutely clueless.

Aggiorno: che la prima si possa tradurre con "evitare l'ingaggio/ingaggiamento"?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    The expression is to get out of harm's way, I've never seen it get out of the harm's way. A little odd, but I suppose it can refer to one specific thing that is causing the harm. In any case what is being suggested is either remove yourself from the danger, the line of fire "linea di fuoco" or take the sting out which to me sounds like a synonym of disable the weapons. If you take the sting out of something it can no longer hurt or cause harm.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Badtemper New Member

Italy
    Thanks
    You are right, it is without the in the text, my mistake