gig: meaning

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eatofiafr, Nov 7, 2006.

1. eatofiafr New Member

Russia, Moscow
    Russian, Russia
    Hello!
    Could you help me with the usage of "gig"? Does it really mean a person with odd looks? And what register is that then?
    Thanks in advance!

2. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Hiya eatofiafr,

I have not come across this meaning for 'gig' before.

Could you be confusing it with 'geek', which does have connotations of awkwardness and clumsiness about it. (It also is applied to people who are obsessed with something, usually technology).
    The adjective from it - geeky - can be applied to someone's appearance "Fred is a bit geeky looking".

For a fuller explanation of geek you probably need an American, as it's more commonly used there.

3. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    Only usage I've ever heard was...

A gig of memory.

A gig of hard drive space.

Things that are short for gigabyte.

4. eatofiafr New Member

Russia, Moscow
    Russian, Russia
    Thanks a lot guys!
    I actually found that meaning in Webster and in a bilingual dictionary and nowhere else. So got suspicious about that. Maybe a very rare usage so no need to learn it - few native speakers would understand me :) only those 2 dictionary compilers :)

5. soakupthesun Junior Member

English, New Zealand
    i would have thought that the word 'gig' would be reffered to an opportunity for example for a club gig where you get the chance to play or someone might say, "i got you the gig," meaning they got you a job or something.

6. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Another useage for the word "gig" was by musicians. It dates from the '50s (I think) and was still in use in the '80s (and may still be for all I know). If they said "they were going to play a gig", they meant they had a job playing in a club or wherever.

7. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    D'oh! I forgot about that one. It is still in use today by musicians, and sometimes for other meanings (like a comedian playing a gig).

8. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Seeing as how I don't hang out with musicians anymore, Hockey13, I wasn't sure whether it was still in use or not!:D

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Gig has many meanings, some of them listed in the WordReference dictionary HERE.

None that I can find are about people with odd looks.

OOOPS - cancel that last sentence.

A queer-looking figure, an oddity; dial. a fool. Chiefly Eton slang.
    OED

That would be a very unusual and localised usage.

10. eatofiafr New Member

Russia, Moscow
    Russian, Russia
    thanks heaps! :)