1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ginera

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by Qcumber, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    I have come across this sentence from a blog:

Kahit na parang ginera ang kwarto ko, alam ko kung nasaan ang bawat gamit sa kwarto na yun.

It’s easy to understand:
    = Although my room is a mess, I know where everything [every tool] is (in that room).

This is the first time I come across the term ginera. It is not entered in my dictionary. Does anybody know its origin, its exact meaning, and what accents its should have?
    ginéra
    ginérà
    ginerá
    ginerâ

2. Aku Junior Member

Tagalog, English
    Ginera is an inflection of the verb gerahin = to wage war, to ravage by war, and is in the past tense. The root word of gerahin is gera (or as some would say, but I personally would not recommend, giyera), and has the Spanish word guerra (war) as its origin.

In this case, the author of the blog would most likely have meant that "the room may be an absolute mess or worse, a total wreck".

3. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English

A fine explanation, Aku. Thanks a lot.
    I only knew giyéra in Tagalog. I didn't know géra was used.
    So geráhin means "to destroy".

4. epistolario

epistolario Senior Member

Philippines
    Tagalog
    My high school Filipino teacher corrected me in my essay for using gera instead of giyera but I found out that both are actually acceptable. (This is how her correction looked like: gera giyera :))

In your example, the writer is simply using a simile and an analogy between a war-struck land and his messy room so it should not be taken literally.

5. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Although abundantly documented and the more frequent, the form giyéra is odd, and I just can't see how Span. guerra became Tag. giyéra.

6. mataripis Senior Member

It is because there was a wrong choice of word. It is better to use " Dinumog" or "Ginulo". 1.) Kahit dinumog ang silid ko, alam ko pa rin naman kung nasaan ang mga gamit ko.

7. Aku Junior Member

Tagalog, English

I'm not an expert but it looks to me like the form giyéra resulted from stressing the vowel "e". This form may have been influenced by a linguistic feature of certain Spanish "radical" verbs (e.g., the "e" in words like pensar (to think), querer (to like; to love), or empezar (to start), becomes "ie" as in "pienso" (i think), "quiero" (i like), "empieza" (s/he, it starts).

8. Aku Junior Member

Tagalog, English
    The word "ginera" in the original sentence is perfectly acceptable. Nothing wrong with it.;)

9. mataripis Senior Member

para sa mga sanay sa Tagalog Maynila ay wala ngang diperensya pag ginamit ang salitang "giyera" pero dahil may maraming salita ang Tuwid managalog , mas malinaw kung gagamitin ang dating mga salita gaya ng ginulo o dinaluhong.Siguro gawin na lang nating informal ang "giyera" at nasa anyong formal ang mga binanggit kong salita para patas.