give gloom

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jakartaman, Apr 5, 2013.

1. jakartaman Senior Member

Hi :)
    Is any of these expressions below used?
    • give gloom
    • give a gloom
    • give a sense of gloom

Say, I was sitting in a dark, quiet, and dilapidated place. I would feel depressed or gloomy.
    In such a case, can I say, "This place gives me gloom/a gloom/ or a sense of gloom"?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Hello, jakartaman. Of all the options you suggest, I like "give a sense of gloom" the best. The other two look really odd to me.

That said, I'd expect a fluent English-speaker to express the idea differently: This place is gloomy. That's enough to tell your listener that the place gives you a "sense of gloom". If you wanted to emphasize that the place makes you feel gloomy, you could also say that: This place makes me feel gloomy.

What I like about "it gives me a sense of gloom" is that it reminds me of a more common phrase and so it sounds something like a pun: (Common phrase) This place gives me a sense of doom.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. jakartaman Senior Member

Thanks, Owlman. Do you guys ever use the noun "gloom" in everyday speech except "gloom and doom"?
  4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

I don't hear "gloom" in speech very often, Jakartaman. When I hear people refer to the idea in conversation, they usually choose the adjective "gloomy".
  5. jakartaman Senior Member

OK, thank you, owlman. God bless! :)