1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

give it a spin

Discussion in 'English Only' started by james.zeng, Oct 18, 2011.

1. james.zeng Junior Member

Shanghai
    Chinese
    What doest it mean"give it a spin". No source and no expample sentence. Just this phrase! Is it wildly used in America or England? Is it same meaning as "try it"? What is their difference?

Thanks!!!

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    No context, no answer, I'm afraid. We are left with guessing whether you are talking about tops or lettuce driers or prayer wheels, or something else. And guessing is forbidden.

If you can tell use something about the situation in which you heard or read this, we may be able to help.

Added: The other possibility is that you enter the important words in the search box at the top of the page to search for previous threads: give spin.

This previous thread will provide context for you, and may have the answer you seek: give .. a spin. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. james.zeng Junior Member

Shanghai
    Chinese
    Thank you Cagey for your "ADDED".
    The "give... a spin", which have the meaning of testing it and trying it out, is exactly what I am looking for.
    By the way, I would like to know that is this phrase wildly used in AE and BE?

4. Inglip Senior Member

Dubai, UAE
    English - UK
    It is in BRE. I've heard it most commonly used to talk about a car, but it is common for all sorts of things.

5. james.zeng Junior Member

Shanghai
    Chinese
    Got it! Thank you, Inglip!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011