give it two thoughts

Discussion in 'English Only' started by little black bean, Jan 16, 2013.

1. little black bean Junior Member

chinese
    Dear all,

Would someone like telling me what does this sentence mean: ' I didn't give it two thoughts.' (from The borrowers avanged, Arrietty talk about her father's tools were saved by Spiller, her mum asked her ,'are you sure what Spiller said?')
    does it mean:' I am sure. '? what the 'two thoughts' exectly mean?

Thanks

Little black bean

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I am not entirely sure that you have transcribed this accurately, but in general this sounds like a dismissal, the speaker is saying she did not pay much attention, or did not realise there might be a problem.

3. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
  4. little black bean Junior Member

chinese
    thank you
    suzi bar and Biffo

Sorry that I didn't make my question very clear.

let me try to put more details.

The parents thought they lost the tools, the only thing which they can rely on. So when Arriety, their daughter,told them that Spiller, a little boy, who rescured daddy's tools, and said:"Look out what your're doing! Them's your father's tools!" the mum don't believed it at first time and keep asking Arriety:" You're sure he said 'tools'?" Arriety said:" That's what it sounded like. I didn't give it two thoughts. Not with the bag nearly falling into the water..." she went on,"Yes, that was the word he shouted."

thanks.

Little black bean

5. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I think it just means that she didn't have time to think about it and/or had no reason to believe anything else.

6. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    It means "I didn't think twice about it," which in turn means "I didn't examine the situation closely; I didn't think about it deeply."

7. little black bean Junior Member

chinese
    thank you Biffo and exgerman! crystal clear!