give me a buzz

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ntcl, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ntcl Senior Member

Lisboa
    portuguese
    Is the expression "give me a buzz" just for phone calls or it means also e-mails? Thank you.
    "On the side note; please give me a buzz next time you go to Peru. I have few places that I would like to recommend!"

2. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    I would say it does not translate well into using it for contacting someone through e-mail, although I could be wrong.

"Give me a buzz" in the past meant "call me" via telephone, and I still think it means the same today.

"Please call me/let me know/the next time you go to Peru..."

3. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Earth
    Português de Portugal
    If there was a previous exchange of phone numbers or emails, then you have the means to communicate with the fellow and give him a buzz .

The traditional sense is in telecomunication context because phones have a bell ring/buzzer , a "buzz" so to speak.

4. M07yth Junior Member

Provence, France
    English & Jamaican Creole
    No, it would not make sense to say "give me a buzz" when referring to an e-mail .

If you said, "give me a buzz" to someone, they would probably say "Okay, what's your number?'"

"Give me a buzz" only works for phone calls

The phrase that I always hear for sending someone an e-mail is:
    "Shoot me an e-mail".

5. Nymeria Senior Member

Barbados
    English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    Honestly ntcl, in this day and age, I think "give me a buzz" can be used to refer to other types of contact besides a telephone call. Yes, telephone contact was the original meaning of the phrase and has remained the most common meaning. But if contact information had been exchanged and the context was fitting, I would not keel over in shock if someone sent me a text or an email or instant messaged me online after telling me they would "give me a buzz".

6. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Earth
    Português de Portugal
    What if he does not own a gun ?:rolleyes: In some countries there is gun control, you know ! :D

Can we "bomb emails" too ? Would it be viewed as spam ?:eek:

When sending a text message (SMS) the receiver also receives a "buzz" in his mobile phone (except in silent mode, but it is not the senders fault) !

And how about a those little gadgets that only receive "a buzz" and a phone number ?

7. spatula

spatula Senior Member

London
    English - London (Irish ethnicity)
    I'm with M07yth regarding the meaning of 'give me a buzz'. This phrase is still very much in use in BE, and I've never heard it to mean anything other than to phone someone.

Haven't really heard much other than simply 'email me', where in this case email me is used as a verb.