1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

give my love to X / say hello to X

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wolfbm1, Dec 13, 2012.

1. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hello.
    I'm asking my wife to give my greetings (over the telephone) to:
    1 her sister and her sister's husband
    2 her sister only
    3 her sister's husband only.

I think it is appropriate to say:
    1 Give my love to Ela and Marek. OR Say hello to Ela and Marek.
    2 Say hello to Ela.
    3 Say hello to Marek.

Am I right?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. rhitagawr

rhitagawr Senior Member

British English
    A man is unlikely to say Give my love - and certainly not when the other person's a man.

3. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you. That's what I thought.
    Is it O.K. to say "Give my greetings to Marek" or "Give my greetings to Ela"?
    What about sentence #1. Does it sound too cordial? (Maybe it is suitable for a priest?)
    Is the expression "give my love to ..." suitable for a teenager (16 - 18 years old)?
    I wonder how teenagers give their greetings to somebody.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    "Give my best to" is between "say hello to" and "give my love to." It may be appropriate here.

5. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you, Egmont.
    Best,

Wolf

6. rhitagawr

rhitagawr Senior Member

British English
    Give my love to sounds cosier than Say hello to. Give my greetings doesn't sound right. You could say Give X my best wishes, although this would sound a little more formal than Say hello to.
    Give my love to, although it doesn't literally mean love, at least implies a certain intimacy. If you're talking to Pauline's sister, you might say Give my love to Pauline if you know her quite well. If you're talking to your cousin Judith, you might say Give my love to Andrea if Andrea is Judith's sister.

7. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you, rhitagawr, for your interesting explanation. :)

8. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    A suggestion by cycloneviv in Thread: Give my 'regards' to ....
    "Please give my regards to your girlfriend, and I hope she gets well soon."

I guess best regards is a way of expressing a greeting. If Google is anything to go by, it seems appropriate with relatives.

9. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I'm not sure why you switched from love for the two of them to hello to them as individuals. Nothing has changed (although you can say "hello" if you prefer, but then you might as well do it for the pair).

Remember that you're speaking to your wife about her sister or brother-in-law. Say you love them: Give my love to Ela and Marek/Ela/Marek. Your wife will appreciate it and she will translate your sentiments to them however she likes: Greg sends his love. Greg says howdy. Greg says when are you going to pay him back for the money he lent you. :)