Global Food Security conference (adjective order)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by loureed4, Feb 9, 2013.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hola,

Acabo de leer esto: "Global Food Security conference".

Tengo muchos problemas con este tipo de construcciones. Para mí, el nombre principal es "conference" y lo demás son adjetivos de esa conferencia. ¿Es una conferencia acerca de la seguridad alimenticia "Food Security" ?

Para mí, es relativamente fácil esto: "Food security Conference" . Pero...¿Porqué "Global" va al principio?.

¿No sería más apropiado: "Food Security Global Conference" ?

Ufff, esto no es fácil para mí cuando tengo que traducir al inglés expresiones como ésta: Conferencia Global sobre seguridad alimenticia

2. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Debido a que la nacionalidad precede el propósito (en este caso, el propósito de la conferencia es, como ya has dicho, 'food security'.

Dirías The German food security conference o The Spanish food security conference y 'global' es una mezcla de nacionalidades...

3. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    Hi Loureed:

I didn't see your name - I was so interested in the question!

The following list may help. It is NOT 100% rigid, but it may help you guess better! I use it to explain to non-native English speakers the normal order of adjectives; I'm sure you'll find many exceptions, however.

Best of luck,

JJ[h=1]Order ofAdjectives[/h]1. Number –- three, four2. Intensifier -– very, quite, rather, somewhat3. Opinion or judgment-- beautiful, ugly, easy, fast, interesting 4. Size -- small, tall, short, big 5. Age -- young, old, new, historic, ancient 6. Shape -- round, square, rectangular 7. Color -- red, black, green, purple 8. Nationality -- French, Asian, American, Canadian, Japanese 9. Material -- wooden, metallic, plastic, glass, paper 10. Purpose or Qualifier -- foldout sofa, fishing boat, racing car

4. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Entiendo Wandering JJ.

Con esta explicación es mucho más fácil. De todas formas, con este tipo de expresiones lo paso mal, I struggle!! , pero lo intentaré.

Imagino se podría decir también: "The Worldwide Food Security Conference".

Muchas gracias!! :)

5. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    Hi,

Normally we would use 'global' to describe something like a conference. When we publish studies/reports on industry segments, we entitle the reports either 'The European market for ABC' or 'The global market for ABC'. Although 'worldwide' means the same thing, I never use it in a business context.

Saludos.

6. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    When I was replying you, you were doing the same, is that a "cross reply" ? hehe.

As for the order of the adjectives, I really appreciate that list. Someone else told me about it a while ago in another/other thread, but at that time I found it complicated to learn that by heart (still it is). I think that over time, that will come natural, if I read enough, that always happens to me.

But, I may have entitled the thread in a wrong way because I am not wondering about:

"The quite interesting big old round red french wooden house" .....Gosh!! hehehe, I am just following your list and it is quite complicated to learn that by heart, hehe, but quite interesting indeed!

I think my question is different, but I don´t to know how to explain why. :(:)

7. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    I was trying to explain why we don't say 'Food security global conference' and why 'global' comes first.

The list of adjectives is only really useful if you have, say, three together and you cannot feel what order sounds best: a big red French car - for example.:)

I think I've seen the expression 'cross post' in these fora, but 'cross reply' is quite understandable too.

8. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks again Wandering JJ.

Yes, your explanation about the "German Food Security conference" was great, but I meant that when I see these things in Spanish , it´s hard for me to translate them and I thought that it had much to do with the list your kindly provided me here, which I really appreciate by the way!!

So, "cross post", I see. I have to thank you once more for your incredible help Wandering JJ! :)