Globalization - advantages and disadvantages

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by Seana, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Seana

Seana Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    • Do you see any advantages of globalization for your country?
    • Does any possibility exist the globalization threats authentic ethnic and national continuity of the countries their independence and will destroy their local culture and tradition?
    • What do you think about development of movements against globalization?

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Please define what you mean by globalization.

Is it the absence or the dismantling of protectionist trade policies and high tariffs? Is it cross-border investment by manufacturers and retail and distribution firms, and by service companies? Is it companies seeking low cost labor and friendly tax environments?

It is quite a "loaded" word for many, and a clear definition would allow for a meaningful conversation of the benefits and problems caused by any economic movement. Without a definition, we are likely to get little more than superficial slogans.

3. Seana

Seana Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Globalization (or globalisation[1]), is an umbrella term for a complex series of economic, social, technological and political changes that have been identified since the 1980s. These changes and processes are seen as increasing interdependence and interaction between people and companies in disparate locations.(...)
    Those over its merits consider whether globalization helps improve quality of life, or destroy it; they also question the role and existence of local culture in a 'globalizing world'. (...)
    The rest is here

4. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Globalization is the obvious and logical eventuality of the capitalist system. Businesses seek higher and higher profit levels and to do this they must seek the lowest cost base possible and the widest markets available. This involves taking over, or eliminating, any competitors not big enough to stand up top them.

Then there is the pension effect. There are millions of people whose future income in retirement is dependent on the continuation of the rising stock market. Governments cannot - and dare not - do anything which would interfere with the pensions industry (which is as globalised as trade is) as they too depend on this industry.

Globalisation cannot and will not 'benefit' any country —> that is not it's purpose, and if it does begin to benefit any country to a very noticeable effect it will not be functioning properly and will need adjustment. It is not the business of business to benefit anyone but shareholders.

Local culture and tradition have always been threatened and damaged by life. Irish traditional culture has been 'dying' for years. The language is almost dead - Welsh is going too, Cornish is gone, this is evolution. Stasis is not a natural state, and in fact entropy is more normal. Minor languages die out, larger languages grow stronger, and then begin to fragment into subsets, dialects and eventually into new languages.

Movements against globalisation are to be welcomed, as is any struggle for human independence and dignity — but they are ultimately doomed to failure. The faceless ones win out as they have the financial power and the influence over those with the political power. America's long struggle against Communism was not - per se - the clash of purely political ideologies. It was to protect the business of America - which is Business with a capital "B" - Capitalism, and the way to do that was to protect the global market. Why else was there so much joy when Nixon went to China, and even more when he returned with promises of doors being opened to imports.

5. Seana

Seana Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Don't you think that some advantage of globalization should be just possibility of solving the really serious huge world problems by worldwide organizations in general global scale.
    Now I give you the problems which are just coming to my mind: Amazonian forests, aids, shared action in preservations of the natural environment, poverty, hunger. flow of the information, sharing of technology, maybe irrigation entire Sahara, drug problems etc.

6. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    You cannot just list off problems - tell me how you think these might be helped by globalisation (that term usually does not include the 'protest' or environmental movement).

7. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    How wonderful it must be, when asked a question, to have such complete trust in the answer of a dictionary that you are happy for it to speak for you. Have you thought of going into politics as a career?

Anyhow, could you please give a couple of examples of what you mean by These changes and processes are seen as increasing interdependence and interaction between people and companies in disparate locations - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Thank you.

8. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Don't forget that we've seen what 2000 years of globalisation did for the Church - it is stagnant and afraid of change, it does not and cannot react to new information — Galileo's dying words "epure si muove" have only recently been consented to! ;) — and it has lost touch with its flock.

9. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I see little value to this thread if what is really meant by the question is nuanced by the asker. If only universities would ask more precise questions of their students we'd have so much better an idea of the answers to give them here!:rolleyes:

10. Seana

Seana Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I think even with very strict definition we will get them.:)
    In my opinion globalizm has two faces - first wonderful humanitarian and second one completely horrible.
    However, maybe we will be menage to think out and add something to this difficult topic.

Whatever we wouldn't say negative about it I think that globalization is simple consequence of very quickly rushing technology in all fields of science unrestricted develope of information so the isolated country could be helpless in the face of these all problems.
    We are the 'global village' and most economy and environmental effects of the industry, farming and others are acting like communicating tubes.

Maxiogee, perhaps I am naive person but I think if largest capital hadn't only one destination - the profit - money - it would be possible to do a lot for the world. Maybe both the good deeds and the profit could go parallel to one destination.
    Environmental protection and global pollution, fight against serious illness, hunger I see as the main role for it.

Hello timpeac,
    As far as I read various thread of this forum I didn't meet that is required giving a strict definition or some examples for topics are started by someone. Very often is given the link for some article or question.
    Why do you required it from me. Even really serious scientific dissertations say that we should be protected ourself from use authoritarian term for it.

11. tigretoro

tigretoro Junior Member

spain
    Hindi- Bharat
    globalization is imminent itcould be a fraction of what humans will perform in this existence --and it is the destiny of this planet evolving in this alive being form universe-every thing evolves with the sun and the sun evolves too,it is evolution--we see it in micro but it is macro like death of a star and infinito times multiplicando----it has 2 directions negative and positive-like a lotus blossoms in dirty slurry water also-eventually mixes in matter leaving more seeds behind ,,we are still like in the seed form of this flower,we here on earth seem to be accelerating it but in time its nothing ,its very slow,slower than the smallest second.every thing evolves even the human soul birth after birth,reaching towards the god head supreme to mix in its extasy like mohamed-jesus-budha and more claim its possibility---.globalization is equally good and bad depends on which side one is on and enjoyes his ride.
    regards

12. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Seana - I didn't write that comment as a moderator but as a forero who is aware that threads like this, talking about complex issues with no terms of reference, can meander without coming to any real conclusions as people chime in muddying the issues because they all mean slightly different things from each other - boring pap to read. I was particularly concerned to see that in your first message you not only made no effort to explain what you understood by these terms, no effort to contextualise the question as to why you were asking it and why now, but made no offer of your opinion on the questions raised. This smacks of someone trying to get others to do their homework for them without even considering the issues yourself. My concerns are far from relieved when one person asks you what you understand by the question and you reply quoting a dictionary definition. Another asks you for more detail and you produce a list of problems - no analysis as to why this are or might be problems. I express concern and without addressing that you try to hide behind WordReference rules.

Well, until you offer your opinions on this topic I have no intention of being a data gathering source for someone who is not prepared to think about issues for themselves. Goodbye.

13. coconutpalm

coconutpalm Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Chinese,China
    I don't think Seana is opening this thread to ask help for her homeword(rather confused). Maybe you can edit your thread title to something like "Give your own definition of globalization"? Thus all problems can be solved, though I do think Maxiogee's and Tigre's posts are so excellent!

14. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    To me globalization is perfect:

- The world is developing (specially the poorest ones).

- People in 1st world gets the products cheaper.

- Nationalists get less and less power.

- Communication increases (this forum is a perfect example of globalization).

15. coconutpalm

coconutpalm Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Chinese,China
    Today in China, we are talking a loooooooot about globalization. When talking about it, we always consider it from two sides: good and bad, of course, mainly from the point of view of China itself. Here is my own opinion: economically,I think it's a good thing for most of us, but surely not good for all. Politically, well, I'm not sure about that. Americanization is a widely recognized fact, but not all things America is doing are right; some are even far from right, I would say. Culturally, I am still more unsure! while I'm most concerned about the erosion of our own culture of 6,000(or much much longer, who knows?) years, I'm often wondering whether it's worthwhile/necessary/ethically right to make so many efforts to preserve/save some minority cultures while what those minority groups need most is money, not anything else. Am I being egoistic again? Probably, but I really find Maxiogee's first post quite (or too?) convincing. And it's an interesting fact that many many Chinese think Tang Dynasty was the greatest period in our history, not only because it was one of the richest, most powerful countries in the world, but also because it represented a spirit that we hardly find in any country of today's world: to be open to all(please don't read too much into this word, I'm talking about concept) cultures, ready to accept everything ,willing to change for the better.

16. Seana

Seana Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    In my opinion comprehending the globalization means permeating above all to the spirit of the young generation which are seen more as being equated with general universal the citizen of the world than the local community with all its separatnesses. But after all tradition, traditional life style, tradidional food, customs give us sort of support and certitude of subsistence in our local small world. Do you think separateness of national culture and customs are outdated?
    Recently I could hear that Americanization the style of being and eating is sailing negatively to the development of diseases associated with the progress of civilization just in the countries where signs and indicators of falling ill were smallest in the word for example in Japan. Is it true?