"go" as a future auxiliary

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by john_riemann_soong, Feb 19, 2007.

1. john_riemann_soong

john_riemann_soong Senior Member

Singapore / United States
    English, Singlish, Chinese; Singapore
    I know that "go" as a weak form of the future tense exists in English and French (as aller) ... but I'm wondering what is the pattern for other languages?
  2. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Can you explain better what you mean, by giving an example in English? Thank you!
  3. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In Finnish we use instead the verb "to come" to form a kind of future tense (which otherwise doesn't exist in Finnish).

I'm going to do / je vais faire = tulen tekemään = literally "I come to do".
  4. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Japanese does not have future tense syntactically expressed. The word for "go" can be used as an auxiliary but it means "to complete the action at here-and-now of the speaker."

From the host to the guest who has announced to leave before lunch time;
    tabete itte kudasai
    eatAnd goAnd honourUs.
    Please eat with us (before you go).
  5. john_riemann_soong

"I'm going to do my homework soon" => "I will do my homework after a little while" , etc.
  6. Ilmo

Ilmo Member Emeritus

In Spanish the future created using the verb ir (= to go) is even more comnmon in everyday speech than the real grammatical future.
    The conjugation of the verb "ir" is very irregular

Voy a comprar un coche mañana - I'll buy a car tomorrow

Inb Swedish the future is composed using the verb komma (to come), like in Finnish, + the conjunction att and the infinitive.

Jag kommer att köpa en bil i morgon - I'll buy a car tomorrow
  7. cyanista

cyanista законодательница мод

I suppose, the periphrastic construction with the verb "to go" exists in most Romance languages. Portuguese and Catalan have it for sure.

Russian has a curious verbal construction for expressing an intention or a planned action: собираться что-то сделать. The verb собираться is reflexive.

Она собирается подать на него в суд. - She is going to sue him. Or, literally: She is gathering herself to sue him.
  8. Honour Senior Member

Türkçe, Türkiye
    That's interesting, French use the verb to come to express recent past.

Edit: Oh, by the way, in Turkish we don't use the verb to go as an auxiliary.
  9. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    It's used in Finnsh, too, only the main verb gets a different form:

Je viens de faire = tulen tekemästä = literally "I come from doing"
  10. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Actually, Catalan does not have this same structure.

The parallel structure in Catalan (and please correct me if I am wrong) would be:
    The structure "vaig a comprar" doesn't exist in Catalan, and would have to be the future tense (ie, comprar + haver):

Catalan has an interesting past tense (passat perifràstic) in which "vaig comprar" would mean "I bought" or "compré" in Spanish.

This thread in Catalan may also be interesting to you.
  11. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I cannot speak for all Northern Indic languages, but certainly for Panjabi, Hindi, and Urdu. I presume Gujarati will fall under the same category but I'll leave it for the experts:)

There is no "voy a comprar" parallel in Panjabi. If you are expressing the idea that you are "about to buy" something, then the suffix /vaalaa/ is added on to the end of the verb. /vaalaa/ has many uses actually, but for this topic I'll limit myself. Therefore, "voy a comprar" would be /mai.n khariidaN vaalaa haa.n/. In Hindi/Urdu /mai.n khariidne vaalaa huu.n/.

To express the future, the future tense would be used.
    "Voy a comprar" in Panjabi would be /mai.n khariidaa.ngaa/. In Hindi/Urdu, it would be /mai.N khariiduu.ngaa/.

I was honestly planning and starting a similar thread the other day.
  12. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    In Italian we don't have a particular verb to form the future.

1. We can use the basic form. For example--> andrò in vacanza = I'll go on holidays
    2. Otherwise we use the structure "ho intenzione di..." which translates the English "to be going to". For example--> ho intenzione di andare in vacanza = I'm going to go on holiday.
  13. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Portuguese does use "to go" (ir) as a future tense auxiliary.

Vou fazer os meus trabalhos de casa daqui a pouco.
    As in Spanish, this periphrasis has become more common than the simple future in the spoken language.

Other, less common periphrases with different verbs (and somewhat different meaning) also exist.
  14. betulina una mod a Baetulo

al bressol del basquetbol
    català - Catalunya
    Panja is quite right. Catalan does not have this structure. You might hear it in some contexts of immediaty, but I'm not sure if it is correct. However, the general use of the construction "ir a + infinitive" in Spanish is not correct and it actually sounds really bad in Catalan.
  15. In Search Of Senior Member

In Norwegian we have the verb "gå" which I know is often confusing to language learners as they use it just as English "go". However, "gå" means "walk" (at least most of the time..) We use "skal" (which might lead Norwegians to overuse the English "shall";))
    Jeg skal dit: I'm going there

And we also often drop the future tense and use the present when referring to the future:
    Jeg kommer: I'll come/I'm coming
  16. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    La gen ho emplea? De veritat?
  17. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    I find that interesting actually. The "waalaa" indicates the agent noun. In English the agent noun is usually made by adding "-er" to a verb (teacher, learner, player, drinker, etc). In Hindi/Urdu, it is made by following the verb with "waalaa" (sikhaane waalaa, siikhne waalaa, khelne waalaa, piine waalaa). In Arabic, it is made by putting the root letters on the scale of "faa3il" (فاعل) and the agent noun is hence known as إسم الفاعل (ismu 'l-faa3il). The interesting thing is that in BOTH Urdu/Hindi and Arabic, we can use the agent noun to express the idea of the doer of a verb AND the idea of "going to..(do sth)"

For example:
    أنا شارب [ana shaarib - I am going to drink] (lit. "I am the drinker")
    ميں پينے والا ہوں (maiN piine waalaa hooN - I am going to drink] (lit. "I am the drinker")

(both the same)

Panjabigator, Gujarati doesn't actually have a parallel structure to the Urdu/Hindi "waalaa". Usually we can translate word-for-word from/to Gujarati from/to Hindi and it means the same thing. Here that is not the case. If we translate it from Hindi literally, then "maiN piine waalaa hooN" would translate literally "HuN piivaa vaaro Chu" which strictly means "I am the drinker", and not "I am going to drink". To say "I am going to drink", we'd say "HuN piivaano Chu". To say "I will drink", we'd say "HuN piiviish" (like Hindi "maiN piiungaa")
  18. Vejrudsigt

Vejrudsigt Junior Member

United States; English
    Danish uses "(subject) kommer til at (infinitive)":

Hun kommer til at flyve bort. [She's going to fly away.]

Vi kommer til at vinde! [We're going to win!]

Ole kommer til at synge til os. [Ole is going to sing to us.]

There's also the construction "(subject) skal til at (infinitive)", which means "to be about to":

Jeg skal til at falde! [I'm about to fall!]

Deres kat skal til at spise sin mad. [Their cat is about to eat its food.]

Han skal til at begynde. [He's about to begin.]
  19. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English

Very interesting and an example of structures between Indic examples where parallelism is not found. Can you apply a name to the structure used in /piivaano/? My initial instinct was to refer to this Gujarati structure as an infinitive, but that would certainly be wrong.
  20. parakseno

parakseno Senior Member

Romanian, Romania
    Romanian doesn't use the equivalant of "to go" as an auxiliary verb. Therefore, "aller"+vb/ "I'm going to" + vb type of future does not exist in Romanian. The verb "to want" ("a vrea"/ "a voi") is used to form the future:
    I will go. - voi merge.

21. Amerikanyets Junior Member

США - Английский
    The "ir + a" construction was the first portion of Spanish they taught us in school. We then learned "me gusta(n)" (I like).
  22. mcibor Senior Member

In Polish I'm going to is explained by teachers as zamierzam (I'm planning to).

However there are many verbs in Polish derived from go (iść), which have future meaning:

doing math problem: Jak tylko do tego dojdę - 'If I "come" to that specific line / problem', but also 'As soon as I solve it'.

Dojdę - dojść - to make it, to figure out,
    There are many more verbs derived from go that can have future meaning, but exactly such an auxilary doesn't exists in Polish - you cannot use them with other verbs.
  23. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    In Dutch we have the same: gaan + infinitive = (one of the means to express) future.
    Ik ga zwemmen (swim).

In Farsi, it is also possible to use 'to go' as a way to express future:
    Miravam shenâ (be)konam.
    Lit. I go 'swim do (I)'
    But (be)konam is a kind of subjunctive.

24. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Frank, why does the Farsi one need the subjunctive?
  25. Petrucci369 Junior Member

Denmark - Danish
    "Go" is not used in danish. There are some ways to express that something is going to happen in the future (as posted by Vejrudsigt) However, the future meaning of a phrase is often to be found in the context.The most common way to express that something is going to happen is to add when it will happen. Later(senere), tomorrow(i morgen), soon(snart) etc.
  26. john_riemann_soong

Hmm, this is interesting. So perhaps English didn't borrow it from Romance after all. Or it could be just a Western Romance feature, though Catalan seems to be an exception, It doesn't seem to be universal throughout the Germanic languages since Danish doesn't have it. What does German use?
  27. CapnPrep Senior Member

Heine and Kuteva (2002) list the following languages that have grammaticalized "go to" as a future marker:
    Bari, Sotho, Zulu, Margi, Klao, Igbo, Teso, Ecuadorian Quechua, Tzotzil, Tamil, Basque, and "more than half of all pidgins and creoles", including Krio, Negerhollands, Haitian

The authors note that "this grammaticalization appears to be an instance of a more general process whereby process verbs are grammaticalized to markers for tense or aspect functions." English did not necessarily borrow it from anywhere.
  28. john_riemann_soong

Heh, Haitian creole is French-based, which had the "aller + verb" construction originally. The modern (post 1500s) era, anyway.

What does "grammaticalize" mean? Does it mean there was a recorded instance where the language lacked this feature and then a recorded instance where it appeared?

I'm wondering if English inherited this aspect from Anglo-Saxon or it was born spontaneously by itself, for example.
  29. bb3ca201 Senior Member

Toronto sa Chanada
    English/Scottish Gaelic, Canada
    In Gaelic we certainly use it. It's the same structure, but with Gaelic words:

tha mi a' dol + infinitive
    I'm going to + infinitive

Here's some examples for you:

tha mise a' dol ga chuideachadh / I'm going to help him.
    tha mise a' dol a sgriobhadh litir. / I'm going to write a letter.

The simple future is entirely possible in these constructions; however, these give the idea of determination.
  30. HistofEng Senior Member

New York
    USA Eng, Haitian-Creole
    The "to be going to" construction is also used in Haitian Creole to generally refer to the immediate future.

I'm going to drive.
    Mwen pral kondui.
  31. Oluc (Yvon)

Oluc (Yvon) Banned

Ottawa, Canada
    Français, English
    The closest the Italian language comes to "going to ..." or "je vais ..." or "voy a ..." is "sto per ..." (from the auxiliary "stare" in opposition to the verb "essere").
    "I'm going to work hard/tomorrow" instead of "I will work hard ..."
    "Je vais travailler fort/demain" instead of "Je travaillerai fort ..."
    "Voy a trabajar duro/manana" instead of "Trabajaré duro ..."
    "Sto per lavorare duro/domani" instead of "Lavorarò duro ... " (Can someone confirm this as I am not positive?)
  32. Lugubert Senior Member

No future 'go' in Swedish.

It may not be obvious to non-Scandinavians that kommer is the present of 'to come'.

It is parallelled in Swedish. The same sentence: Hon kommer att flyga bort.

We also use ska(ll) (cf. 'shall') for the future: Hon ska flyga bort, which aslo may mean that she has to go. (Skall is only written language.)
  33. chriskardos Junior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungary, Hungarian
    i think in Hungarian it could be: Majd
    Majd elmegyek - i will go
    Biztos hogy elmegyek - i'm going to go

or something like that.
  34. Consimmer Junior Member

New Jersey, USA
    Malaysia, English and Malay Language
    I think I understand the topic, so if in English "I'm going to..." in Malay it is usually "Saya akan..." where akan indicates a future activity. Another form would be "Nanti saya..." where nanti indicates an activity soon to happen that you'll have to wait for. Nanti is also used as a verb for 'wait'.
  35. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    Yeah, as it's been already mentioned, Spanish uses the verb ir (to go) to form the future. The construction is ir + a + (verb inf). Here, a means to (ie, I go to...)

Voy a escribir una carta = I'm going to write a letter / I'll write a letter
  36. Orreaga

Orreaga Senior Member

New Mexico
    USA; English
    But for clarity: "majd" is not from the verb "to go" in Hungarian (and is not a verb form at all). The verbal auxiliary for the future tense in Hungarian is "fog--" (with personal ending), which can be translated as "take". "Menni" ("to go") is not used as a future auxiliary in Hungarian.
  37. knight_2004 Junior Member

In Arabic:
    Just add the letter "S" to the beginning of the present tense verb, and it means "I am going to.."

(أذهب إلى المدرسة) Ath-hab ela El-Madrasa = I go to school.
    (سأذهب إلى المدرسة) Sa-Ath-hab ela El-Madrasa = I am going to go to school.

(يذهب إلى المدرسة) Yath-hab ela El-Madrasa = He goes to school.
    (سيذهب إلى المدرسة) Sa-Yath-hab ela El-Madrasa = He is going to go to school.

Another form, add the word "Sawfa" to the beginning of the sentence (present tense sentence,) and it means "I will..."

(أذهب إلى المدرسة) Ath-hab ela El-Madrasa = I go to school.
    (سوف أذهب إلى المدرسة) Sawfa Ath-hab ela El-Madrasa = I will go to school.

(يذهب إلى المدرسة) Yath-hab ela El-Madrasa = He goes to school.
    (سوف يذهب إلى المدرسة) Sawfa Yath-hab ela El-Madrasa = He will go to school.