go for the gusto

Discussion in 'English Only' started by elastika, Jul 4, 2007.

1. elastika Senior Member

croatia croatian
    Hi, could anyone explain what exactly "go for the gusto" means? I know it's often used in advertisements, but what exactly does it imply?
  2. The Scrivener Banned

On the "naughty step".
    England. English
    I believe this to be an American expression. I think it means "Go for it big time."
  3. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    It's pure commercialese; nobody would really ever say it seriously. "Gusto" means "relish," as in "to eat something with relish, i.e., with great enjoyment." Also, of course, it means "taste" in Spanish, which may resonate with many Americans, since Spanish is widely spoken in the USA. It also echoes "Go for the gold" from the Olympics.

I couldn't actually tell you what the phrase means, because I don't think it really means anything.
  4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    "Go for the gusto" is a perfectly acceptable phrase, albeit one that has lost its popularity. "Gusto," however, is still fairly common in English. If you engage in an activity with gusto, you do so with energy, zeal, vim, and a cheerful or positive manner. You might, for example, eat a meal with gusto, which would mean you seem pleased with it and enjoy it.
    To go for the gusto, similarly, means to act in a manner that will cause you enjoyment, rather than being timid, unadventurous, or conventional.
  5. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    In a sense, "go for the gusto" could be equated, roughly, with marketing catchphrases like "just do it."