Go get 'em, Tiger

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Hi Group,

What does it mean Go get 'em, Tiger? I am guessing be brave or something like that, in what context can I use it? can you give me some examples to understand better this common english phrase.

Thanks in advance,
  2. DeMaty Member

US English
    It means to be brave or do your best or good luck.

If you are about to ask a woman out on a date, play a game of soccer against a good team or go fishing for example, I could tell you "Go get 'em tiger".

Note that 'em is a false contraction of them, but you would never say "go get them tiger".
  3. Antonio Senior Member

Thanks for you good definitions, but can you give more examples, can I use this phrase in politics for example, or at the end of Spiderman 2, Kirsten Dunst says to Tobey Maguire, Go get'em, tiger? What's does it mean in this context?

Thanks in advance,
  4. DeMaty Member

US English
    I didn't see Spiderman, but go get 'em tiger is basically a way to be encouraging. I would geuss he was about to fight the bad guy, and she meant it to say "Good luck, I hope you kick his butt!"

You can use it in politcs, if you are speaking to the cantidate. It is not used in the third person, for example one would never say "I hope tiger goes and gets 'em".

It pretty much means "I encourage you to do well at what you are about to do."

It is used any time there is some form of competition or situation where the quality of your performance is uncertain. Taking a test at school, a job interview, getting your driver's liscense, performing at a concert. You often will say it as you pat the person on the back.

Como estás aprendiendo inglés, estoy aprendiendo español. Usar frases nuevas se da miedo a veces, y es difícil usarlos correctamente. Ahora que tienes esta nueva, en el contexto de utilizandolo, puedo decir a ti:

Go get 'em, tiger!
  5. Monoglota

Monoglota Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    "Go get 'em, Tiger"

"A por ellos, campeón"

6. Antonio Senior Member

Thanks for your definitions. I have in my slang dictionary, that if i used only the word tiger, means and outstanding sportsman (the opposite of rabbit), the expert, the good one.

This is common in english to named someone tiger, if they are good at something? Can you give me some examples to understand better this word without the phrase Go get'em, Tiger?

Thanks in advance,
  7. DeMaty Member

US English
    Your dictionary describes it well. I would add that it can mean they act in a tough or ferocious manner. If a soccer player plays well and doesn't mind kicking a few shins, you might say they are a real tiger.

I think it is used most often to imply someone is or may be aggressive and playful in bed. We fought a lot, but when we made up, she was a real tiger.

In English, we often use similes and to understand them, you simply need to know about the object being named. If you know the qualities a tiger posseses (smart, playful, aggressive, fierce) you can figure out the meaning in a given context.
  8. Antonio Senior Member

ok, just to add something and to not get confused. I heard something like "wow, you're an animal" what does it mean in this context, animal is a different word than tiger?

Thanks in advance,
  9. DeMaty Member

US English
    Yes, being called an animal could be good or bad depending on context.

If you eat fast, making lots of noise, or treat a woman roughly trying to touch or kiss her without her consent, you are an animal (bad, meaning less than human).

If you play a sport without regard for your own safety you are an animal. (good)

Animal is mostly used to mean bad, less than human.
  10. Antonio Senior Member

Thanks for your definitions, but can you give some other examples but without the sports and the bed, please. Just to understand the whole point here and the context too.

Thanks in advance,
  11. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    There was a song that came out in the 1980's called "Eye of the Tiger". The lyrics describe someone getting ready to fight. The "tiger" in the song is the inner strength of the person. I hope these lyrics will shed some light on what it means to compare men to tigers. lol

It's the Eye of the Tiger,
    It's the thrill of the fight,
    Rising up to the challenge of our rival,

"Go get 'em Tiger"
    "Make me proud" (in the context of a parent talking to a child)
    "Kick butt out there"
    "Do your best"
    "Show them what you're made of"
    "Be all that you can be"

All of these idioms want to express an idea of encouragement. They are meant to arouse adrenalin, excitement or aggression in a particular setting.

These are all that I could think of without stretching the meaning of the original phrase. Hope it helps somewhat.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  12. Phoenix7 New Member

Hi, Antonio, I'm Phoenix7 this is my opinion is:
    The frase (go get 'em, tiger), in my point of view, it means: go to (win) or (defeat)them tiger. Tiger can means (Champ, pal)

I spect this point helps you
    cheerio! friend!
  13. sincerelyyours Senior Member

Hi all! I am curious... does it make a different if the receiver is a man or a woman?
  14. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

"Go get 'em, tiger" can be said to either a man or a woman. This isn't the case with many animal-related idioms, but for this particular one, I don't think people even think about tigers when they say it.
  15. sincerelyyours Senior Member

Thank you very much, Just Kate!
  16. twinklestar

twinklestar Senior Member

Except from encouraging "you", can the phrase be used as below explanation which I looked up from Urban Dictionary?

Go get 'em tiger...

Thank you!
  17. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Ignore that explanation from Urban Dictionary.

Like any expression in English, "Go get 'em, tiger" can be used ironically, but that's no reason to take it as a definition.
  18. twinklestar

twinklestar Senior Member

Thank you for your advice.
  19. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    :thumbsup: Take note that the definition has only 19 :thumbsup: but 216 :thumbsdown: (I just added a :thumbsdown:).