Go on walking

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by franknagy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Context: Go on walking, sentenced to death.

"Шагай-ка, обсуждённый к смерти!" is OK?

Hint: This is the title of a volume of verses of a Jewish Hungarian poet written in the 1930-s.
    Poets presentiment the future of their community and their own fate.

I was taught the paired movement verb like идти-ходить. But they are used where the action has a goal (go to school, so on) but in this case the walking up an down in the cell is aimless.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
  2. willem81 Senior Member

No. Here you should use either приговорённый к смерти or осуждённый на смерть.
  3. learnerr Senior Member

Just remove the "б". But this means that the person who is sentenced to death is told to go somewhere, probably to the spot of execution. Most likely this is so because of the incentive suffix "-ка"; but if without it, then it is difficult to understand what at all is meant. To render your sense, I'd have to say something more precise like "мечись по камере, приговорённый к смерти", and my choice would depend very much on greater context.
  4. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Without links:
    járkál = keep walking = go on walking = гулять/походить/шагать.

Which one on the above three Russian words can be applied in the described situation?

Whole Hungarian context: "Járkálj csak, halálraítélt".

5. Maroseika Moderator

The context remains absolutely unclear. Can you explain what exactly means "go on walking" here? Is someone sentenced to death keeps following his course of life? Or he is walking to the place of execution? Or else?
    With all that, the first two verbs are completely unsuitable. Гулять means 'to go for a walk', походить (Perfective) means 'to walk for a while' (походить по комнате). Шагать is somewhat bookish here, but maybe can work in your context, still unknown to us.
    Maybe plain иди, продолжай идти would be better, but agains, this depends on the context.
  6. patriciachingiz

patriciachingiz Senior Member

Boston USA
    English - American
    Just to clarify, Frank, does it mean that the Jew is condemned to death in that time and place, sooner or later, and must just keep walking, keep living, keep moving forward, cannot avoid his fate, the collective fate of the Jews at that time, or something like that? Or is it just talking about one condemned person in a cell who is either waiting for or on the way to execution?
  7. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Patricia, you have hit the right nail on the head!!!

+ Even if you cannot avoid your fate you must not stop working.
    Miklós Radnóti (1909-1944) was working in the years of emerging antisemitism in Hungary which had begin in 1920 and lead to the Holocaust.
    The expression was the title of his book of verses published in 1936.
    Here you can see his biography and some of his verses.
    If you are interested in more the I'll send links in private.
    His best verses were found in his pocket in mass grave in the so called "Notebook from Bor" (copper mine in Serbia). http://www.studiolum.com/wang/bp/radnoti-miklos-level-1944-majus-24-400.jpg

Best wishes
  8. willem81 Senior Member

Then it can be stated as:
    продолжай идти, осуждённый на смерть.
    Or perhaps: не прекращай свой путь, осуждённый на смерть / приговорённый к смерти
    Продолжай следовать своим путём, ...
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Thank you Willem.
    It's time to stop this topic.
    It is too sad but if I look around the jinns have climbed out of their shoddily sealed bottles after 70 years and their vulgar ideas are poisoning again our life again.