1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Go to wash them in the kitchen.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hboo, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hboo Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello,

Here is a sentence from my English learning book:
    Mum says to the son:"Go to wash them in the kitchen." I have heard sentences like "Go wash them in the kitchen." or "Go and wash them in the kitchen.". But I'm not sure if you would say: "Go to wash them in the kitchen." in everyday life too. Are all these three sentences commonly used in English?

Thanks.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Two of them are, but "Go to wash them ..." isn't. :) At least in my variety of AE.

3. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    I agree with you: "go wash them" and "go and wash them" are very common, but "go to wash them" as a command sounds extremely odd.

It's fine if it's not a command: "Go wash your hands in the kitchen," said his mother. He went to wash them, but there was no soap.

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I would accept "Go in the kitchen to wash them"

Your book seems unreliable.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Might there be a BE/AE difference here? Like Copyright, I'm good with "Go wash them..." and "Go and wash them..." but not with "Go to wash them...". And with Paul's variation (post #4), I'd still use and rather than to.

6. hboo Senior Member

Chinese
    Yes, I wonder this too! But according to PaulQ, even in British English "Go to wash them in the kitchen" is not natural either?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I don't think you need any more confirmation, hboo - you've had replies from speakers from Canada, the US, and the UK, all saying that "Go to wash them in the kitchen" is odd.

But since Parla seems to have sown a seed of doubt, I'm happy to add another BrE voice: I would not say "Go to wash them in the kitchen":).

8. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Me too. Neither "go to wash them in the kitchen" nor "come to eat your breakfast in the kitchen" (as commands) are natural English.