1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

gode di statistiche di tutto riguardo in materia di

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by candel, Mar 8, 2014.

1. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Hi there,

Concerning the airplane loss today: the flight from Vietnam to Beijing. The plane model is known to be reliable:

Sul mercato dal 1995, questo modello di aereo gode di statistiche di tutto riguardo in materia di sicurezza.

Complicated this;

On the market since 1995, this model of plane enjoys sound statistics across the board in matters of safety.

di tutto riguardo is together as a phrase?

Grazie :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Di tutto riguardo means something along the lines of 'respectable'.

3. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    My take: "..in commercial operation since 1995, this aircraft type has / enjoys a respectable safety record" ;)

4. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Hi Teerex and london,

would "highly" respectable be implied by "tutto"?

5. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hi TRex and London,

To me, the problem with "respectable" is that it leaves something to be desired in terms of a foolproof record i.e. it leaves the reader with a sense of fallibility with regard to the aircraft's safety record.

I would prefer something like

...this aircraft has an impressive safety record
    or even
    ...this aircraft has a very good safety record

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    I was thinking also highly respectable or as you put it elfa...to designate the near perfect safety record of the plane in question..

7. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    Considering that "di tutto rispetto" is a synonym of "invidiabile" (hence "enviable" in English), maybe another option could be ...this aircraft has an enviable safety record.

8. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Also :thumbsup:

9. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    Just to add that the Wiki entry on the incident (here, under "Aircraft") mentions that "The Boeing 777 is generally regarded by aviation experts as having an 'almost flawless' safety record". A nice addition to the list of available options...

10. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Very good addition by king crimson..makes great sense :thumbsup: great help from everyone thanks.

11. I think remarkable safety record could be a good alternative...

Up to Heathrow 2009 -> spotless safety record
    Up to San Francisco 2013 -> impressive/very good safety record
    Up to Kuala Lumpur 2014 -> remarkable safety record
    Then... ???

I like also very much King's almost flawless but I honestly woudn't use it after the first deadly accident (San Francisco) as a form of respect for the victims.

12. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    I like KC's suggestion, too, and I would still use it. Let's not go all weepy-eyed and PC here...:rolleyes:
    You might remember that the SFO crash was clearly a case of pilot error. The aircraft's own safety record should not be affected by a tragic botched landing (the "left seater" had logged a whopping 43 hours on the Triple 7) :eek:

13. This is true T-Rex, I did not consider the human factor enough...

14. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    I have no comment about the safety discussion, but just for the record and for future reference, the plane was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing (not Vietnam, post #1).