godziny rektorskie

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Hotmale, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    Cześć,

jak przetłumaczylibyście "godziny rektorskie"? Rector's hours czy jakoś inaczej?

Dzięki :)

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    'Dean's Office Open Hours" -- are you referring to the times when the dean's office is open and you can go there and ask different question (just to make sure)? Or, the times when there are no classes or lectures based on the dean's decision?

3. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    I am talking about the situation where there are no classes or lectures :)

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    "Classes and lectures cancelled by the dean due to X". Maybe there are some other options. Maybe you have the whole sentence in which you would like to use the phrase -- the situation may just have to be described, depending on the circumstances.

5. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you, Liliana for your suggestions :) Unfortunately, I have no sentence. I was just wondering how to translate this phrase.

6. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think "classes and lectures cancelled by the dean" as a general term.

7. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you a lot :)

8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I vote for 'Dean's office open hours'. That's how they translated the phrase back at my university, I think.

9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Dreamlike -- "Dean's Office hours" are just basically the hours when the dean's office is open, you can go there and ask different questions. I think "rektorskie" -- are really cancelled lectures and classes due to conferences, mostly, or some other activities conducted at the university.

10. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    There is no corresponding idiom in English; you would need to paraphrase. For a serious emergency, e.g. 10cm of snow, in a UK context we would talk about the University being closed or the University cancelling classes , not the Dean, Rector (few universities have them) or any other named official.

11. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I mistakenly thought that's what was meant. Sorry, I didn't notice one of the posts explaining that.

12. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Trochę więcej na ten temat godzin rektorskich jest tutaj.