1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Spanish lost in abroad Junior Member

Spanish
    Hola:
    Bueno dado que estamos en pleno Mundial, uno no sabe como traducir expresiones como:

¡Gol de Inglaterra!

¡Gol del Chelsea! por poner ejemplo de un equipo de futbol de la Premier, en el que se emplee la preposición 'de' y el artículo 'el' formando el contracto 'del'

Mi intento sería:

England goal!

Chelsea goal!

No sé si es correcto , espero sugerencias gracias y un saludo.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    England/Chelsea score! (en británico)
    England/Chelsea scores! (en americano)

A goal for England/Chelsea!

3. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
  4. Spanish lost in abroad Junior Member

Spanish
    ¡Muchas gracias!

5. SDLX Master

SDLX Master Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Spanish - Peru
    I concur. :thumbsup:

6. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    We need to know the context. Who is saying "Gol de Inglaterra!" or "Gol de Chelsea"?

A BE speaker providing live commentary on a televised match would be more likely to use the present perfect than the simple present: "Defoe ..... He's scored!" and "England have scored" rather than "Defoe .... He scores" and "England score."

"It's a goal!" is an option for a BE-speaking commentator. A BE-speaking commentator would be less likely to say "A goal for England!" (without a verb).

If I am watching the match on television and decide to report the scoring of a goal to someone who is not watching it, I use the present perfect: "Derby have scored!"

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. Red Blood

Red Blood Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina
    Great ! but, what about you shouting a goal of England or your football/soccer team in the middle of the crowd in Wembley, for instance, or in front of a TV set? If I would be watching a match of ARGENTINA or INDEPENDIENTE (my football/soccer team) I would shout GOOOOL !!! if one of them scored a goal.

Best wishes.

8. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    I have to admit that I'm basing myself on my recollection of American hockey, football and basketball commentary, where the present is always used. "Jones shoots and he scores!" is heard constantly in basketball and hockey.
    In baseball, the simple present dominates as well, at least in my recollection. It's a home run for Jones! Smith scores from second on Brown's single to right.
    A-Rod's double brings home the runners on first and second. Two more runs for the Yankees here at the bottom of the eighth.

9. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    If I'm at a football match and my team scores, I shout "Yeah!!!" I'm not untypical in that respect.

Un saludo y "Dale Roooo"

10. Red Blood

Red Blood Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina
    Thank you very much my friend for the explanation, the greeting and the last 2 words which make me happy :)

Best wishes