Good and yourself???

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Yj Guy 007, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Yj Guy 007 New Member

English
    Please verify if I am correct:

Everyday conversation: "Hi, how are you?
    Response: "Good, and you?"

vs

Respsonse: "Good and yourself?"

I can't help but think "good and yourself" is incorrect. I believe it should be the first response, as it sounds grammatically correct. Am I right or wrong?

2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Well, you've already trodden on a few grammarians' toes by responding "Good", but no matter :)

Good. And you?
    Good. And yourself?

You'll hear both of these, whether or not they are theoretically correct, and no one will be surprised if you use either.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    There are a number of common circumstances where 'reflexive' pronouns are sometimes used when the simple pronoun would be just as good. Sometimes a little bit of extra emphasis is detectable, but often not.

My wife and myself are having lunch with the vicar.
    I'm having a gin and tonic. What about yourself?

Linguists are puzzled by the distribution of these.

4. Yj Guy 007 New Member

English
    My apologies...I should have said "Doing well, and you?"

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    No apologies necessary. I didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't respond with "Good ...". Only that if you don't mind responding "Good ..." then whether you say "you" or "yourself" doesn't matter a great deal.

We've talked a lot about this before in this forum - Greeting - How are you? good or fine? and Greeting - How are you? I'm good for example.

The responses to "Hi, and how are you?" are widely varied (see "how are you").