1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Good Faith and Fair Dealing

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by linguist_inside, Mar 18, 2013.

1. linguist_inside

linguist_inside Junior Member

Padua, Italy
    Russian
    I imagine there is a juridical term for "Good Faith and Fair Dealing" in Russian, but I cannot find anything in dictionaries. Does anyone know how to translate this?

2. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Perhaps you'd better take this question to the lawyers forum. Translation of legal terms is tricky because you would hardly find a term with absolutely equivalent legal effect. In my opinion, the most close to "bona fides" is "добросовестность". However, if you tried a search engine, a request "good faith и добросовестность в российском праве" would find enough legal researches to fill a book. They both have similar meaning and similar intent, but the effect and applicability could be quite different. Having said that, the terms "принцип добросовестности" and to some extent "соблюдение обычаев делового оборота" seems good enough. Although the latter term is more close to "established pattern of business conduct in a given domain".

3. linguist_inside

linguist_inside Junior Member

Padua, Italy
    Russian
    Thank you! I have also found this version in a juridical dictionary: "бона фиде", leaving the latin term as it is.

4. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I haven't seen any Latin term in the Russian Civil Code thus far. Perhaps such transliterated term could have been used in some scientific legal papers, like research of historical Roman law or comparison of jury systems...