good luck

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by ritinha, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ritinha New Member

portugal, portuguese

I need some help with the following:
    how can i say "good luck on your exams" in egyptian arabic?
    I found the word bettawfeeq for good luck, but i guess it is pure arabic.

thanks in advance
  2. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    to say good luck, it would be حظا سعيدا. But such expressions are not usually used in Arabic, neither MSA nor collequal.

To say it in Egyptian Arabic something similar it would be: بالتوفيق ان شاء الله
    الله يوفقك
    ربنا يوفقك
    لله معك
    ربنا ينجحك

It would generally be a prayer of some sort (دعاء). Maybe some of the egyptians here can give you more examples.
  3. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    My guess (I don't really know much about Egyptian but I like guessing:D): 2allaah yewaffe2ak (bel-emte7anaat). Bet-tawfee2/bet-tawfeeq I assume would also be fine.
  4. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, bettwafeeq is good.
    You can say: Rabbena ywaffa2ak (to a male)/ywaffa2ek (female) fel emte7anat. It litteraly means: may God make you succeed in the exams.

I think حظًا سعيدًا is very well used in MSA. Why do you think it's not?
    I love guessing too :D But remember that in Egyptian we use في and not بــِ like the Levantines do. And we don't pronounce the q, so bet-tawfee2 is the correct one, unless the speaker is from the regions where the ق is pronounced as "g", so they'd say: bet-tawfiig :)
  5. FaWzY Member

Cairo, Egypt
    Egypt, Arabic & English
    We use
    "Rabbena yewaffa2ak fel emte7anaat" ربنا يوفقك في الامتحانات
    Also "Bettawfee2 insha2allah" بالتوفيق انشاء الله is generally used for wishing good luck
  6. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    I have used "HaZZ sa3iid 3a 'l-imtiHanaat" from time to time. Is that not used in Egyptian?
  7. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    The kasra of يفعِّل becomes fat7a in Egyptian then (يفعَّل)? Because you wrote ywaffa2ak and not ywaffe2ak. (In the Levant this is still kasra like in fus7a but it often disappears, like when you add -ak: ywaf2ak.)
  8. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    No, Josh. I'm afraid it's not. Maybe because the adjective "sa3id" sounds a bit formal.

Not with all verbs. I can think, now of the verb nazzala (put down) we say yenazzel and not yenazzal (though in some Egyptian dialects "yenazzal" is also true).
    But I don't think yewaffe2 is used anywhere in Egypt.
  9. ritinha New Member

portugal, portuguese
    Thank you all for your replies.
    They were very helpful ;)