good odds

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bosun, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bosun Senior Member

korean
    What is the meaning of good odds in the follwoing sentence?

"That's pretty good odd," she says. " you have more change of getting hurt in a traffic accident than you do skydiving."

2. DesertCat Senior Member

inglese | English
    It means that you have a higher chance (or a higher likelihood) of getting hurt in a traffic accident than skydiving.

3. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    I just think you should include "while" or it looks odd...

Vicky

4. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    The noun "odds" is defined in the OED as the "balance of probability in favour of something happening or being the case."

Therefore "good odds" suggests a high probability.

You can say the same thing replacing "odds" with "chances."

5. DesertCat Senior Member

inglese | English
    It seems fine to me without the while. If I say "You're more likely to get hurt in a car accident than skydiving" or "You're more likely to get hurt driving than skydiving" do you still think it needs while?

6. bosun Senior Member

korean
    Let me make it clear. The original sentence is as follows:

She had only three malfuncations in which she had to depend on a second, reserve chute. " That is pretty good odds,' she says. " You have more chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident than you do skydiving.
    Again, what does it mean by " That is pretty good odds"?

7. DesertCat Senior Member

inglese | English
    Bosun, we answered that question in #2 and #4.

8. I would say that it means that because she only had to go to the reserve chute a few times out of (assumed) many; it's probable (pretty good odds) that you'd survive skydiving without having to go to the reserve chute.

I'd also say those are pretty good odds.

Pretty good odds is a high probability or a favorable probability or chance, which is more like it.

9. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    Maybe it's just me, but it sounds odd, as if something has been left out.

Vicky

10. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish

One useful information that nobody seems to care of is that the word is widely used in the betting business - in several languages.

So if you have been to the races - horses or bicycle - I would not be surprised if you had come across it even in Korea or Japan:

Odds 5:1 as winner - meaning you place a bet of 1 Euro and gets back 5 if your rider or horse wins.

11. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    "That's pretty good odds," she says. " you have more chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident than you do skydiving."

"Good odds" does refer to betting. To get very basic, the sentance means that you are less likely to get hurt skydiving that driving. By saying this is "good odds", the person who wrote this believes that it is a relatively safe activity. (I disagree, since getting into a car accident can pretty likely depending on how much one drives, but...that's irrelevant to the meaning here.)

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The expression "good odds" is an opinion about the probability of something. Good only means favourable.

So, good odds in the context of a chance event that may kill you would be a lower than expected probability.

Good odds in the context of winning the lottery would be a higher than expected probability.