Good Sources on Asturian?

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by killerbee256, Dec 16, 2012.

1. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Does anyone know any good sources on the Asturian language? I was messing around on Wikipedia and happened upon it, I find it interesting how it shows a mix of Portuguese and Spanish features as well as some reminiscent of Sardinian such as the final “u” instead of Portuguese & Spanish “o.” I'd like to learn a some more about it.
  2. Hulalessar Senior Member

English - England
  3. miguel89

miguel89 Senior Member

Here's a link to a grammar and to a site containing recordings and further information.
  4. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I think you don't need to go (the geographical distance) to Sardinian for the final "-u": The final "-o" in the spelling of (the neighboring) Portuguese is usually pronounced .
    Sardinian may have preserved the sound of Latin, while Portuguese evidently had [o] during the time when spelling was standardized, which later "returned" to a sound.
    Asturian seems to have gone through the same process as Portuguese, but standardized its spelling after, instead of before, the change.
  5. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Sadly the links on the audio files in one of those links is broken, I'll have to check you tube some time. Slightly off topic, when and where was modern portuguese standardised? I've looked a old portuguese on wikipedia and on the whole it looks more similar to spanish then it does the current spellings.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Historians refer to "Galician-Portuguese" as a single early Romance dialect in the northwest corner of the Iberian Peninsula.
    According to Robert A. Hall, Jr. (External History of the Romance Languages, p. 122), "As with Castilian, the extension of Galician followed the Reconquest in its southward path. After the political power and the language had become established farther south, Portuguese split from Galician in the fourteenth century. With the growing subordination of Galicia to Spain, the Portuguese standard lost its connection with the north, and came to be based, rather, first on the usage of Coimbra and then on that of Lisbon."
  7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Standardised is perhaps too strong a word... When it began to be written. It would be interesting to see how Asturian was spelled in the Middle Ages.
  8. mjb1005

mjb1005 New Member

The best source is Gramática de la Llingua Asturiana (2001), which you can find a PDF of online if you google it. Asturian is not really "standardized" per se, due to all of the variations of the language, but the variation used in that manual is the central variation. There are also online courses taught by the Conceyu Universitariu pol Asturianu if you are interested. Other than that, there has been a huge resurgence of literature written in Asturian. For example, within the last year a translation of The Hobbit in Asturian was published. You'll probably have plenty to read soon!

If you have more questions please let me know.

9. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Last winter while I was in Spain and Portugal, I spent some time in Oviedo. While I was there I talked to the folks at Academy of the Asturian Language, they gave me some literature in Asturian. Sadly, because I didn't want to rent a car, I couldn't get out to any the villages to find native speakers. My own speech is a mix of Spanish of Portuguese due to the way I learned the languages, but speakers from both understand me, thought Spanish speakers think I have Portuguese accent and Portuguese speakers think I have a Spanish one. I was interested in seeing how well I could communicate with Asturian speakers.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015