1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Good Sources on Asturian?

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by killerbee256, Dec 16, 2012.

1. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Does anyone know any good sources on the Asturian language? I was messing around on Wikipedia and happened upon it, I find it interesting how it shows a mix of Portuguese and Spanish features as well as some reminiscent of Sardinian such as the final “u” instead of Portuguese & Spanish “o.” I'd like to learn a some more about it.

2. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
  3. miguel89

miguel89 Senior Member

Argentina
    Spanish
    Here's a link to a grammar and to a site containing recordings and further information.

4. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I think you don't need to go (the geographical distance) to Sardinian for the final "-u": The final "-o" in the spelling of (the neighboring) Portuguese is usually pronounced .
    Sardinian may have preserved the sound of Latin, while Portuguese evidently had [o] during the time when spelling was standardized, which later "returned" to a sound.
    Asturian seems to have gone through the same process as Portuguese, but standardized its spelling after, instead of before, the change.

5. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Sadly the links on the audio files in one of those links is broken, I'll have to check you tube some time. Slightly off topic, when and where was modern portuguese standardised? I've looked a old portuguese on wikipedia and on the whole it looks more similar to spanish then it does the current spellings.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Historians refer to "Galician-Portuguese" as a single early Romance dialect in the northwest corner of the Iberian Peninsula.
    According to Robert A. Hall, Jr. (External History of the Romance Languages, p. 122), "As with Castilian, the extension of Galician followed the Reconquest in its southward path. After the political power and the language had become established farther south, Portuguese split from Galician in the fourteenth century. With the growing subordination of Galicia to Spain, the Portuguese standard lost its connection with the north, and came to be based, rather, first on the usage of Coimbra and then on that of Lisbon."

7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Standardised is perhaps too strong a word... When it began to be written. It would be interesting to see how Asturian was spelled in the Middle Ages.