1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

goomar

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by fratellino, Sep 11, 2007.

1. fratellino Junior Member

Illinois
    United States-English
    My wife and I see the word 'goomar' used on the Sopranos show quite often. What exactly does this mean? Is it American-originated slang or is it a version of an Italian word? Just curious!

2. gabrigabri

gabrigabri Senior Member

奥地利
    Italian, Italy (Torino)
  3. fratellino Junior Member

Illinois
    United States-English
    Grazie mille!

4. Yroku New Member

Palermo
    Italian
    As far as I know, and since I came from (and living in) Palermo, the word "comare" it's not used in that way.
    I wouldn't know how to explain its meaning (even in italian), I mean to understand it you should live it, but I'm almost definitely positive that "Mafia mistress" and "comare" are not synonim at all. ^^

5. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    Probably another example of some sort of Pidgin-Italian (yesterday I discovered the existance of the supposedly Ita:Dlian word Fungool (!!??) :eek:

6. koodip Senior Member

USA
    English-American
    Penso che questa parola dia derivata da "compagno"..."compa"....i vecchi immigrati abbruzzesi in america si chiamavano "compa' " che veniva percepita dai madre-lingua AE come "goomba".

7. Yroku New Member

Palermo
    Italian
    Yeah, I thought of a pidgin too, because of the sound similarity.
    Anyway, maybe comare had that meaning in the past, but I'm too young to know that. guess i'll have to ask my old guys :D

8. koodip Senior Member

USA
    English-American
    Penso che questa parola sia derivata da "compagno"..."compa"....i vecchi immigrati abbruzzesi in america si chiamavano "compa' " che veniva percepita dai madre-lingua AE come "goomba".

9. MStraf

MStraf Senior Member

I am a big fan of Soprano's, I subscribed to cable only when the show was on the air (or I shoud say "in the cable"...)

The show is full of words (a mix of Italian, English and dialects) that are very difficult to understand. At the beginning I thought that "goomah" derivasse da cumpa' (compa', compare, compagno) but in the show always refers to a woman that is NOT the wife (he is with his goomah), so I found out that it derives from coma' (comare), a Italian word that when imported (or exported?) in the States changed its meaning to "mistress"

I don't miss cable tv (I don't watch tv at all) and I don't miss Soprano's either... because I ended up buying the whole series in dvd :)

10. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    I also think that it's derived from COMARE. If you listen to Mambo Italiano the word that corresponds to ''compare'' has kept that P (transformed in a B:
    Hey goomba I love how you dance the rumba.... (fantastic :) )

In goomah there's no trace of that (fundamental) p/b so I think the root word is COMARE in this case (goomah)!!

11. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    :D You were right first time.

12. MStraf

MStraf Senior Member

I was actually referring to "on the air", something that we still say even when we watch cable tv... it was a joke (mal riuscito)

13. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Woops! Completely didn't get onto that :p