Gragea vs. tableta

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Alisterio, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    Hello everyone,

I'm translating a text from Spanish into English where they use both "gragea" and "tableta" to refer to different types of medicine. I'm confused as to whether there is some kind of technical difference between these two terms in Spanish, as most of the reference sources I have looked at translate both of them as "tablet" in English. (Word Reference also gives "pill" for "gragea", but this seems like more of a layman's term - I don't know if I'm right in assuming that.)

The text is basically a list of generic medicines that gives their specifications and says what branded medication they are equivalent to:

TS-BAC (TRIMETOPRIMA / SULFAMETOXAZOL)
    160 MG / 800 MG
    100 TABLETAS
    COMPARABLE CON: BACTRIM

ULMELY (FLUOXETINA)
    20 MG
    50 CAPSULAS
    COMPARABLE CON: PROZAC

ARIFLAM (DICLOFENACO)
    100 MG
    50 GRAGEAS
    COMPARABLE CON: VOLTAREN

Can anyone tell me how I should translate "tabletas" and "grageas" into English?

2. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
  3. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    Thanks, sabroso - it didn't occur to me to look in the Spanish only forum (and, weirdly, this didn't appear at the bottom of the page when I looked up "gragea" in the WR dictionary).

I understand the difference between the two words - that a "gragea" has a hard, sugar coating, whereas a "tableta" does not - but as you say, I think we would translate both of those words as "tablet" in English.

Thanks again, and I hope you have a great day. :)

4. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    You are welcome!

It didn't appear because you looked for the word in Sp-En Dictionary where only Sp-En forum threads appear.
    To find threads in Spanish Only forum you need to look for the word in "Spanish: definition Dictionary Search" box.

Regards.