Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by halfitalian, Dec 6, 2007.

1. halfitalian New Member

USA English
    My father would like to be called Nono from my new daughter, however, he was told that Nonutzs means loving grandfather and would like that name better.
    I want to order a picture frame but am not sure of the exact spelling.
    I was told by a man that the second part means loving and is added to the end of pronouns or just names.

does anyone know the exact spelling and meaning??
  2. Bigiù Senior Member

Forse "nonnuccio", oppure "nonnino"?
  3. prowlerxpla Senior Member

Passo Genovese
    Italy Italian
    nonnino=childish way to call grandfather
    but in Italian you can add at the name nonno many things to the pronoums (taking off the last vowel "o") like "uccio" "etto" "arello" ......
    Nonutzs never heard, but may be a type error and could be "nonnuzzo" the sicilian way to say nonnuccio that is nonno+uzzo (uzzo is the sicilian way to say uccio)
  4. housecameron

housecameron Senior Member

Italian/ Italy
    Sorry, but nonnetto-nonnuccio-nonnarello-nonnuzzo don't sound fine.
    Nonnino may work, but when I hear this word I always think of a very old man.
    To me "nonno" sounds just perfect.
    I can't comment about regional uses, though.
  5. pgwodehouse New Member

Hi, I'd like to know if Tuscan children would call their Grandfather "Nonno", or whether there is some regional term that is specific to Tuscany.

English has a number of names which are less formal than "Grandfather": "Granddad", "Granddaddy", "Grandpa", "Granpa" and "Gramps". Does Italian have anything similar? If so, is there any thing specific implied by each word (for example, is it more formal, less formal, more likely to be found in a specific region of Italy, etc).

Thanks very much for your help.
  6. beccamutt

beccamutt Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    English - US
  7. pgwodehouse New Member

Yes, I did look here earlier, thanks. My main question is to confirm whether there is a different term than "Nonno" used Tuscany.