1. Ranox

Ranox Junior Member

Spanish, Nicaragua
    Hola a todos. Quisiera saber cómo se traduce 'granos básicos' al Inglés. Me refiero a granos como arroz, frijoles, etc. ¿Se puede decir 'basic grains'? Gracias por su ayuda.

2. alacant

alacant Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England, english
    Pulses.

Welcome, alacant

3. Ranox

Ranox Junior Member

Spanish, Nicaragua
    ¡Muchas gracias!

4. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    Hola:

Creo que staple grains (and pulses) define mejor el concepto de "granos básicos".

Saludos - Mate

5. Ranox

Ranox Junior Member

Spanish, Nicaragua
    -¡Gracias!

6. spinyilex

spinyilex Senior Member

California
    USA - English
    I know this is a very old thread, but I want to point out that the word "pulses" in this context is completely unfamiliar to me. I'm a native speaker of American English. Perhaps it is used in other English-speaking countries. I would say "staple grain crops."

7. vicdark

vicdark Senior Member

U.S.A.
    Español, Bolivia
  8. spinyilex

spinyilex Senior Member

California
    USA - English
    Yes, it says, "the edible seeds of various crops (as peas, beans, or lentils) of the legume family." And here's more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(legume). But I don't want WR users to think that this definition of the term will be easily understood in the United States. Also, I don't think it would include rice or other grains; it seems to refer only to legumes. Speaking of which, I see here in this Wikipedia entry for "legumes" that legumes are called "pulses" in India. So maybe that's where the word is mainly used.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  9. spinyilex

spinyilex Senior Member

California
    USA - English
    Also, according to the comments at the bottom of the Merriam-Webster entry, "pulse" appears to be used in the Bible with reference to food. However, I still think "granos basicos" would probably best be translated as "staple crops" for a general audience. That would include legumes and grains.

10. horsewishr

horsewishr Senior Member

Michigan (USA)
    English (Generic Midwest Variety)
    I'm a nurse and a health educator. I can say, unequivocally, that "pulses" is not used. Nobody would know what it meant. At least not where I live.

11. spinyilex

spinyilex Senior Member

California
    USA - English
    horsewishr, I totally agree. The reason I proposed "staple crops" instead is that the original poster was looking for a term that included not just grains, but also beans. I don't know what context the original poster was working in, but I know that "granos basicos" can be used to discuss things like market prices of commodities, and I knew that economists sometimes talk about prices of "staple crops," which can vary from region to region but would include whatever crops people depend on for the basis of their daily diet (corn, potatoes, beans, rice, wheat, etc.).

12. ANDRES NARVAEZ Senior Member

Chicago, IL
    Español
    I would use "Staple Crops"

13. Ranox

Ranox Junior Member

Spanish, Nicaragua
    Thank you very much for all your comments. I think 'staple crops' would be the best translation since I was referring to crops like rice, beans and corn.