graphism

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by Vanda, May 8, 2010.

1. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Term: graphism

Your definition or explanation: expression of thought in material symbols

Example: (An example of the term in use)
    ''The word graphism is not defined in any dictionary, but it refers to the "expression of thought in material symbols". (wiki)

''In sociology of science, the graphism thesis is a proposition of Bruno Latour that graphs are important in science.'' (wiki)

''Graphism Recognition in Goya’s Work ''

One or more places you have seen the term:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphism_thesis
    http://www.goyadiscovery.com/images/Graphism_Recognitionin_Goya_s_Work.pdf

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes _x___ No ___

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Those seem to be two totally different things, Vandinha:confused:

Can you give us a quote or synopsis of the Goya thing? ~ I'm reluctant to open a PDF file because they often cause my computer to have a nervous breakdown.

3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Please, feel free to move it to the EO or to delete it. I've made a huge search to find graphism and those were the places I've found it.

4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    The "Goya thing" appears to be either a translation to English, or non-native English:

5. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    About the other graphism page, "expression of thought in material symbols'', graphism represents a ''form of writing that constitutes a 'symbolic transposition, not copying of reality'', right?!

6. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    There was a character in a very dark television prison drama called Oz, who was called "Poet". Poet was sort of a performance artist or rapper who wrote and recited long, topical, rhythmic poetms in to a pocket notebook - without using words.(*) Only drawings and symbols arranged in a particular way.

Is this graphism?

(*) That is, the notations in his notepad had no words. When he "read" them they were full of very powerful words.

7. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    I'd like to know how to explain it in English, Nunty, but I think you have pretty much said it:
    ''When he "read" them they were full of very powerful words. ''

For example: this book is on American indian graphism: their drawings do represent a communication.
    In this paper (2nd paragraph, close to ""André-Leroi...'') graphism is mentioned.
    Hope it helps.