1. wijmlet Senior Member

New York City
    English USA
    Moderator Note:
    Several threads have been merged to create this one.

How to translate this phrase, which appears in a letter after the Dear-- salutation?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  2. BexTrad

BexTrad Senior Member

Brest, Brittany
    English UK
    It's normally what we'd call a "lie-in" in BE
    where you stay in bed late in the morning. sounds crazy in this context though. would that make sense to you?
  3. gillyfr Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    English - England
    can you tell us more? paste the first paragraph for example? "grasse matinée" for me is a lie-in (when you get up late), so this doesn't make any sense.
  4. wijmlet Senior Member

New York City
    English USA
    Thanks. It makes sense.
  5. Ritchi Junior Member

Hi, i've to translate "grasse-matinée" in english for a website. There is no context because it's just in a list of various activities. How could i say that without a sentence?

Thanks for your help
  6. CDHMontpellier

CDHMontpellier Senior Member

Bristol, UK
    Is this for a brochure? You could say "sleep in", "sleep as late as you like!", "stay in bed all morning!", "have a lie in", etc.
  7. Ritchi Junior Member

yes it is for a brochure. "Lie-in" seems great.

Thanks, one more time ;)
  8. Christoly New Member

English - United States
    I don't think I ever heard of "lie-in" but apparently that's the British term. In American English, we say "sleep in," though using it like a noun in a list of things you can do would appear a little strange. Usually, we would say "I slept in." In a list of activities, maybe you could just say "lazy mornings." Like that, you avoid confusing either the Brits or the Americans. "I spent a lazy morning in bed" sounds OK to my ear.
  9. andad Senior Member

Montpellier, France
    American English
    If you want to use it in a list (as a noun), you could say: "sleeping in".