Grave side or graveside

Discussion in 'English Only' started by katie_here, Jun 9, 2008.

1. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It's a single word in AE. My BE dictionaries do not include it at all. That includes the Shorter Oxford toe crusher.

3. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    Does that mean in BE it's two, because there is grave and side? Very confusing :)

4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    This really belongs in English Only, but since you asked... Oxford doesn't list the word
    graveside in its small and medium size dictionaries, or in the semi-huge "Shorter". I don't have access to the monster OED. Cambridge Advanced Learners uses the one word form, so I suspect that BE and AE agree that it is one word.

5. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    I have just checked my Oxford English Reference Dictionary (the best 15 pounds' worth I think I've ever invested, a WHSmith publication, dated 1996), which has "graveside" as one word.

HTH :)

6. losilmer

losilmer Senior Member

I have seen it in a not so huge OED.
    The meaning it shows is the edge of a grave or the ground immediately adjacent to it.

7. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    You're right about the meaning it gives. Given the excellent way the dictionary usually goes into helpful details with examples of common usages in sentences/phrases, to clarify/amplify the meaning in specific situations, one might expect it to show the phrase "at the graveside" for indicating when the mourners are gathered around the open grave with the coffin being interred, at or immediately before/after the funeral...? Or perhaps the adjectival usage, "a graveside service", which seems to be a common formal usage...

8. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I have seen his cheery side and his grave side.
    The mourners were at the grave-side. (The on-line Oxford English Dictionary seems to favour a hyphen here.)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  9. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    Precisely! :)