grazie per avermi sopportato

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by pinha, Dec 17, 2008.

1. pinha Senior Member

italy italian
    Hi everybody,
    I teach Italian to foreigners and I would like to write an email to my students to wish them a merry Christmas and to thank them for their patience. Can I say "Thank you for bravely enduring my lesson throughout the year?"
    Grazie a tutti,
    Silvia

2. L'equilibrista Senior Member

Terni - Italy
    Italian
    "Sopportare" si dice "to stand/bear", quindi "thank you for standing/bearing me/my lessons"
    ma è meglio sempre sentire i nativi.

3. pinha Senior Member

italy italian
    Sì, sapevo di bear o stand o endure, infatti sono in dubbio sul verbo migliore da usare... Grazie!

4. goldeneddie Junior Member

Italy
    English - England
    Hi Silvia

It's more common to hear 'Thank you for having bravely endured my lessons throughout the year'. Note the plural 'lessons'. Hope that's helpful.

Eddie

5. amorelli Junior Member

Agreed, although I'd say that "Thank you for bravely enduring my lessons throughout the year" is equally acceptable.

6. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Thank you for putting up with me this year.. è un altra opzione...
    'bravely endure' una lezione........ hm, non mi sembra giusto....
    Ma quello che ho detto è che non MI sembra giusto, non dico che è sbaglio, non sto dicendo che nessuno lo userebbe, solo, a mio parare.... un po' strano... (a meno che non si intenda un scherzo / pun)

7. goldeneddie Junior Member

Italy
    English - England
    Alex's version sounds more natural. The style of 'Having bravely endured' carries more irony I would say.

Eddie

8. pinha Senior Member

italy italian
    Thank you everybody and have a great Christmas!