Grazie per il suo tempo / disponibilità

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by ArtDir, Dec 1, 2006.

1. ArtDir

ArtDir Junior Member

Hi!
    At the and of interview, how can I say "grazie per il suo tempo Mr.. Mrs.."?
    It's like "Thanks for you time, Mr...?"

2. SweetSoulSister Senior Member

American English
    "Thank you for your time" is correct.

3. ArtDir

ArtDir Junior Member

Thank you!

4. krige

krige Junior Member

Cosenza, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    E "grazie per la sua diponibilità" come si dice?

5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Krige, we need some more context but some options might be:

Thank you for making yourself available.
    Thank you for being so helpful.

6. krige

krige Junior Member

Cosenza, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    Thank you!

The context is an answer via e-mail to an inquiry about a problem which they caused and then they solved promptly.

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    You could say, The time and effort you've spent sorting out that problem is much appreciated/ I appreciate the time and effort you have spent sorting out that problem.

8. krige

krige Junior Member

Cosenza, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    Thank you very much Charles :)

9. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I've just watched a scene where someone ends their interview and the interviewer says "Grazie per la disponibilità", what I want to know here is, what exactly does disponibilità mean here?

I can see in the WR dictionary there is an entry that says "opening (i.e. for a vacancy)", which, since it's an interview for a job, seems to be the most relevant, except "Thank you for the vacancy" doesn't make any sense!

But I can see "availability / helpfulness" which seem like ok alternatives, but I am finding it hard to believe that it's not somehow related to the entry that links the meaning to a job....

In English I can tell it translates as "Thanks for your time", "Thanks for coming", and I suppose it could link with being able to attend the interview. I'm not looking for a translation in English, what I would like to know is how an Italian speaker views this sentence and other ways to express this use of disponibilità, how it's viewed through a native mind and it's exact nuance.

If anyone can help please reply :D

10. krige

krige Junior Member

Cosenza, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    Alxmrphi, the best way I can find to define "disponibilità" is "availability to provide help".

11. SpookyT Senior Member

Milano, Italy
    Italian
    I agree. :thumbsup: In this meaning, disponibilità means kindness and willingness to help with whatever problem you've had.
    It's often used at the end of letters/emails, either before or after the person sorts your problem out.
    Gentile Sig. XXX,

le scrivo in merito a...

(before) La ringrazio anticipatamente per la sua disponibilità e per il tempo che vorrà dedicarmi.
    (after) La ringrazio per la sua disponibilità e gentilezza.

Cordiali saluti.

(signature)
    Also, you could say your best friend is a sweetheart because she's always willing to help you whenever you are in need. = è sempre disponibile (ad aiutarmi) ogni volta che ne ho bisogno.

Hope this helps! Bye.

12. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    But if someone goes to an interview, and they're not very good and the employer doesn't like them (like in the program I watched before), she said at the end "grazie per la disponilità" and then basically says to the others "Well, she was useless", is she (the employer) saying a sort of frase fatta in that situation or does she mean thank you for being available (to attend the interview)?

13. krige

krige Junior Member

Cosenza, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    If the employer didn't say that with sarcasm, then I think she meant to thank the interviewee for their time and availability to attend the interview.

14. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    It wasn't with sarcasm, so what you said makes sense! :D