1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Greeting - How are you doing? [in email?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by runnery, Apr 3, 2007.

1. runnery Senior Member

China,Chinese
    Hi all,

I know "How are you doing" is similar with "How are you".I just want to know if I can use it in a email. For example,if I send my customer an email, can I write at the beginning like this?

Hello xx,

How are you doing?

Patiently await your response.

Thanks,

Runnery

2. runnery Senior Member

China,Chinese
    Hello Metzlti,

Great to hear from you.

Did you wrtie in Spanish? Would you please explain it in English?

Thanks.

3. Metztli

Metztli Senior Member

The Purgatory
    Mexico Spanish / English
    ooops! Sorry runnery!

I was saying that I believe "how are you doing" is too informal. But we should wait for other opinions.

:)

4. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    In business correspondence, I generally don't use either "How are you?" or "How are you doing?" unless the person is also a friend that I haven't seen for quite some time. In business communications I will use these questions only in person, and then only the "How are you?" structure.

Orange Blossom

5. runnery Senior Member

China,Chinese
    Hi Oragnge Blossom,

Thanks. According to your explations, we generally don't use "How are you doing?" either in business correspondence or business communications.So, this greeting ususally appear between the friends when they meet. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again.

Runnery

6. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    That pretty much sums up how I handle it. If I am meeting people face to face in a business situation, I'll say, "How are you?" but never, "How are you doing?" In business letters I don't use either one unless the person is someone I have known for quite some time and the relationship has evolved into more of a friendship.

Orange Blossom