Greeting - How is it going?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eslnoob1, Oct 30, 2006.

1. eslnoob1 New Member

Im new here..
    I read in the other thread about 'how is it going?' but didnt really find my answer..

When someone ask 'How are you?' , the answer is usually 'Good, how are you?'...good then you reply the same question to them.
    my question is, what is the answer for 'How is it going?' if u want to reply the question for them?
    is the answer 'fine thanks, how is it going for you?'
    is there any shorter answer?
    can I answer 'fine, how are you? ...'changing' question

tell me... 'Good,.... '

another question, when someone says 'wazup?'
    what is the answer? 'good' ?
    just came to america, and I dont know how to answer:)

2. Grafrench Junior Member

English Canada
    You could say "Good, how's it going for you?"..but I don't think that's used very often..? For you second question: 'Wazup' is slang for "What's up?" as in what's new or what are you up to. You could answer 'nothing' or just tell the person what your doing.
  3. unefemme1 Senior Member

English, New Zealand
    What about just saying "fine, what about you?" if someone asked you the question "how is it going?". Not many people would care about the gramatical correctness these days, hence the 'invention' of the slang "wazup".
    Just on a slightly different note, there are other ways of spelling "wazup?" :)

Or simply, just "sup?"
    Just a bit of a warning if you happen to come across these in the future.
  4. eslnoob1 New Member

Is it normal to answer 'Nothing' to 'Wazup?'
    Doesnt that seem a bit negative?
    The 'greeting' ends right there when I say 'nothing' right?
  5. JediMaster Senior Member

English, United States
    I think "nothing" is a rather standard answer to "wazup?" because most of the time nothing spectacular is happening and the answer would be something along the lines of "Nothing much. Just homework. You?" Of course, this is very conversational and should never be used in writing (unless communicating over AIM or a similar medium.)
  6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    If someone asks you, "How's it going?"

Your answer can be very short:

"Fine. You?"
    "Great. You?"
    "Terrific. You?"
    "So-so. You?"
    "Pretty well. And you?"

In AE, this is what we expect to hear when we ask, "How's it going?"

7. Blues Piano Man

Blues Piano Man Senior Member

Boulder, CO
    USA English
    It can very much depend on the context. Who is asking, and what their relationship to you is.

When a grocery store clerk asks you as you're checking out, it is frequently just a formality. Depending on how I'm feeling at the time, I might acknowledge the question, but not ask a question in return...

"Fine, thanks."
    "Very well, thanks."

Or if I'm feeling more loquatious and/or more outgoing (and I usually do), I might say...
    "It's going very well. How about you?"

I have to admit that clerks are more likely to say "How are you?" than "How is it going?" But there are probably other situations where you can omit a return question.

Blues :)
  8. Наталья New Member

and is it correct to answer on "how is it going?"
    just "it is going" ?
  9. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    No, not unless the intention is to make a joke of it, although it's OK to say, 'It's going well', I suppose.
  10. Наталья New Member

yes! i thought in the meaning of a joke.
  11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I see. Ensure there are sufficient signals that this is a joke. :eek: I might say, in this vein, 'It is indeed going'.
  12. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    There are indeed some of us who have tired of this clichéd and usually insincere greeting and who have contrived (hopefully) original responses in the naïve hope that the utterer will change his/her ways.
  13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    How's it going today, everybody?

There are some of us who relish any kind of friendly connection in this crazy world today. :D

These may be clichés, but so what?

I guess we could all go around scowling and spreading more gloom.

Count me out of that scene.

I'm doing great, by the way. The sun's shining and there's chocolate in my cupboard. (This is another suggestion for replying to this thread's question.)