1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Greifen Sie ab und an bewusst zu salzarmen Lebensmitteln

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by deny80, Mar 14, 2013.

1. deny80 Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian - Italy
    Hi, can anyone explain this sentence to me? The text warns to pay attention to the salt hidden in food.

"Greifen Sie außerdem ab und an bewusst zu salzarmen Lebensmitteln wie Kartoffeln, Nudeln..."

Is the separable verb abgreifen of zugreifen, or both? There are too many preposition (what an refers to?) and I can't see the structure.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Bahiano

Bahiano Senior Member

Hi deny,

Here, "zu" is NOT a preposition but a prefix --> zugreifen (separable)!
    Also "ab und an" = "ab und zu" = "now and then" / "from time to time"

I hope this helps you see the structure...

3. deny80 Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian - Italy
    Oh, I see... I didn't know the expression "ab und an", therefore I couldn't make sense of it.
    So now I think the sentence means "Also, from time to time consume intentionally low-salt food such as... "
    Right?

Thank you.

4. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    "Ab" , "an" and "zu" can be part of a seperable verb but none of them in your sentence belongs to "greifen" :)

ab und an - expression of time "every now and then", could be replaced by "gelegentlich" or "ab und zu".

There's "zugreifen" (to grab):

"Bei Sonderangeboten greife ich immer zu."

And "zu etwas greifen" (to reach for something, to take something) as in your example. Another example would be "Sie greifen zu den Waffen" = "They take up arms"

So we have: "Furthermore, take (i.e. eat) saltless food like potatoes attentively every now and then."

5. deny80 Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian - Italy
    Thank you, it's much clearer now.

6. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I disagree. The verb zu etwas greifen has a prepositional object zu etwas. This is not the same as the the separable, intransitive and also otherwise object-less verb zugreifen.