greyer hair vs more grey hair

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by mallujulia, Apr 29, 2013.

1. mallujulia Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    Hello,
    I have to compare my life now and ten years ago and I mean that now, my hair is........
    Which one could I use: greyer or more grey?
    thank you.

2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Hello, "Grey" has one syllable...you just need to follow the rules when it concerns to adjectives of one syllable to form the comparative or superlative.

3. matthews028 Senior Member

Orlando, FL
    English, USA
    "Grayer" or "greyer", definitely. (Though I perhaps have seen "more gray" on rare occasions.)

4. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    "My hair is greyer now than it was ten years ago," is how I would phrase it.

5. Mexico RV'er Senior Member

Mexico
    English - USA
    When you are talking about the color of the hair, you would use "grayer." However, if you are talking about the amount of gray hair you have, you would say that you have "more gray hair" now than before.

6. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Exactly! I agree with you.

7. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    Every day I am becoming/getting more gray and I am much more grey now than I was 10 years ago.

Thanks to you guys I learned that there are two acceptable spellings of gray/grey.

8. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Grey is British and Gray US. Your examples Scotu are a bit strange because they are based on "I am grey". The usual thing would be "my hair is greyer now than before.." Or "I have more grey hair than before," I would use the latter.

9. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Who said you couldn't? Your post #4 is fine.

BTW, 'greyer' is the comparative, 'greyest' is the superlative.

10. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    Which is why I deleted my post ;).

Thanks!

11. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Apologies — obviously your attempt at deletion didn't work quickly enough! I blame Mike Kellogg! :D

12. sangrecaliente.sangchaud Senior Member

Makati Ciy, Philippines
    Tagalog - Batangas
    "greyer hair" would refer to the quality of grey hair. As in darker and lighter

"more grey hair" would refer to quantity. As in before I only had 10. Now I have 50. I have more grey hair.

13. kalamazoo Senior Member

US, English
    Most usually I think you would hear "more gray hair than I used to have" which doesn't mean that the color of your hair is more gray than it used to be, but rather that more of your hair is gray.

14. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    Yes (in the US) I am older, grayer, and fatter than I was 10 years ago. It is understood that "grayer" means the color of my hair and contains the implication that I am older... and this is the way I would normally express the color of my hair.