gros bisous / grosses bises [gros bisoux]

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Jerry, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Jerry New Member

USA /English
    What does "Gros Bizoux" mean?

Moderator note: several threads on the same topic were merged.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    Gros Bisous = Big Kisses (typically written at the end of a letter to a friend)
  3. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Hi Jerry, welcome to the forum.

It means big kisses and should be spelled bisous, as it does not belong to that class of French words ending in -ou that take an x in the plural
    (pou chou genou caillou hibou). :)
  4. Jerry New Member

USA /English
    Thank you! That must have been the reason I could not find it in the dictionary. It was written at the end of a note.

5. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Les absents sont: bijou et joujou:)
  6. Laurinou

Laurinou Junior Member

Brighton&Hove, UK
    France, French, English, Italian

I know it is late to answer that one, but: some people write Bisous in a different way, just for fun or to change (this applies to other words too, this could be because of the texts on mobile phones).... For example, you can find Bizous, Bisoos, etc... But of course this is a spelling mistake and not correct to use !

7. Hello Senior Member

Whats the difference b/w
    Gros Bisous/ Milles bisous
    et grosses bisses?

They both seem to be plural to me?
  8. Danse Macabre Senior Member

France (french)
    "Bisous" is a bit more familiar than "bises"
  9. zonbette Senior Member

more affectionate too.
  10. misstiti Senior Member

Toutes ces réponses sont correctes.

Une petite précision: "mille" est invariable

Voilà, bisous!
  11. ticktock10 Senior Member

UK, English
    Hi, I'm just wondering how informal 'grosses bises' is at the end of an email/letter? Would it be inappropriate for me to write to an older person (but who I know quite well)?

12. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    if you like this person very well, you can say "grosses bises"
    it's a nice way to express one's feelings in a familiar but tender manner

13. jelogisa New Member

France, French
    "Grosses bises" is the French equivalent of "hugs and kisses", you can say it to your grandpa or to an older person if you're familiar with him/her.
  14. jjbinks New Member

I am not a native French speaker, but I just read that people write "bisouxx" - like a pun (b/c xxx is like "kiss" in SMS/text message)
  15. blondieholly New Member

could someone please tell me what.. a bientot, gros bisous means please? Thanks !
  16. Eric75

Eric75 Senior Member

Français - France
    "bisouxxxx", means you send a lot of kisses (they are multiplying: x x x x x): very used by teenagers, in sms for instance.
    thus, bisoux tends to become the standard spelling among youngsters in France. My teenage daughter asked me last year or so why some people were writing "bisous" with a final "s"...
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  17. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Welcome to the WR forums, Blondiehollie.
    It means See/Read you soon, big kisses.
  18. sdpc Junior Member

How can you say something like "gros bisous" in english?

I'm not looking for a literal translation, but just for an expression to write at the end of an email or letter for a friend, equivalent to "bisou, à bientôt".

I didn't feel like "Kiss" was that nice, but maybe that's just because its sounds cliché in French ?

Can you help me?
    thanks in advance
  19. carog Senior Member

England - Hampshire
    French - France
    Here in the UK we often replace the word "kiss" by a cross "X" so if it is "Gros bisous" you would expect to write lots of "xxxx"!;)
  20. xiancee

xiancee Senior Member

Yes I've even seen XOXOXO where O's stand for hugs!
    How quaint!
  21. misterk Moderator

Love and kisses,
  22. Blair en France Junior Member

In the U.S., I regularly sign my e-messages to my girlfriends in one of two ways:

xxoo, or Big hugs,

That is pretty typical.

And, yes, I'm a girl.
  23. xiancee

xiancee Senior Member

Does being a girl make a difference?
  24. Blair en France Junior Member

I think so. Male friends never sign in this way--at least to me. And even my brother, who is an expressive, emotional kind of man, never does. He might write "Lots of love" at the close, but never xxoo. And, I would send xxoo to my brother, but never to male friends. In my experience, it's a "girl thing."
  25. Chuiamericaine Junior Member

American English
    sdpc, a good response at the end of an email would be. "See you/talk to you soon, take care!" or "I hope all is well" This would work for personal or impersonal emails. I hope this helps.
  26. Melmac Junior Member

See you soon, my dear,
    Lots of love,
    Affectionately yours,
    Ciao bella,
  27. broglet

broglet Senior Member

English - England
    lots of love
  28. Hannah_99 Senior Member

A little late, but "Take care xoxox" is common.
  29. broglet

broglet Senior Member

English - England
    bonjour sdpc - on peut écrire 'Love and kisses' ou bien 'xxxxx' tout court
  30. jNet New Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    Some ideas for you, starting at the most familiar working down to less familiar:

lots of love, hugs and kisses
    love and hugs
    lots of love
    with love
    much love
    best wishes
    best regards
    kind regards

It really depends on the nature of the relationship between you and the recipient of your letter. I received a letter (email) from the parents of a <correspondant> we had this year, and they signed it "bises". I have not met them but we have corresponded other the last year, and looked after each other's children, so I would reply "with love" if I were writing in English.

Hope that helps? :)
  31. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    I have a question (since the comment was made about "big hugs" in English): would guys also say/write "bisous/gros bisous/bises" in French? I always assumed it was normal since guys "faire la bise" to girls but am now not as sure...

Thanks/merci d'avance !
  32. bazalpin Senior Member

Jersey City, NJ
    French - France
    I do (and I am a man) when I write to my relatives or close friends (included male friend) either a post card or a holidays greetings card. But when typing an email I would use it only for relatives. For friends, I am likely to use A+ (à plus [tard]) or simply bises if I want to sound more tender.

not only to girls, to our buddies and male relatives as well ;)
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013