1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

growth and allergen-specific IgE

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by mjcayetana, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mjcayetana New Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    "Blood samples were obtained from 150 un-exposed MCS individuals and from 148 age- and sex-matched healthy controls. Plasma concentrations of 14 cytokines, chemokines and growth and allergen-specific IgE were measured."

Intento:
    "Se midieron las concentraciones en plasma de 14 citocinas, quimiocinas e IgE específica para alérgenos y desarrollos."

No acabo de darle sentido a la frase.
    Un saludo,

2. pitivw Senior Member

Galicia
    Spain, Spanish
    Creo que algo he encontrado: Growth está vinculado a las chemoquinas, de este modo sería:
    Se midieron las concentraciones en plasma de 14 citocinas, quimiocinas y crecimiento, e IgE específica para (contra) alérgenos
    Ver http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16436135

3. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    I interpreted the English differently, linking "growth" to IgE (ie: growth-specific IgE). That said, the only context in which I have seen IgE associated with tissue growth related to tumor growth in oncology and that does not fit with a study of "MCS" (presumably Multiple Chemical Sensitivity"). Therefore the original English does not make good sense to me.
    The original post does appear to quote the source correctly (eg: see http://sciencealerts.com/stories/25...profile_in_multiple_chemical_sensitivity.html) but I do not have access to the actual paper to try to figure out what they meant by their apparent reference to growth-specific IgE.

4. pitivw Senior Member

Galicia
    Spain, Spanish
    Uff! That relieves me.
    I could read the source and, yes, you right. Ig E is linked to growth.
    Perhaps it could be used: desarrollo, "crecimiento", "incremento", or even, "progresión" including some correction:
    Se midieron las concentraciones en plasma de 14 citocinas, quimiocinas y detección e incrementos de IgE específica para (contra) alérgenos.

5. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    I am not confident that I understand the English well enough to be sure but I don't know if that suggestion works. Unfortunately it is from a journal for which I do not have full text access either at home or at work. I wish a forum member were familiar enough with immunology to comment on the possible term "growth-specific IgE" because I believe that is what the abstract is saying ... but that is not a familiar term.

6. mjcayetana New Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    Muchas gracias por las aportaciones.
    Lamento no tener más que el resumen que da la publicación original.
    Estoy de acuerdo con lo que comenta Bill Osler: la frase no "suena" bien en inglés tampoco.

¿Quizás este nuevo intento tenga más sentido?:

"Se midieron las concentraciones en plasma de 14 citocinas, quimiocinas e IgE específica para alérgenos y su desarrollo."