Guardian in the sky, forever by my side

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Zeus7, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Zeus7 New Member

English
    Can someone please translate 'Guardian in the sky, forever by my side' to Greek. I am getting a Greek mythology tattoo done.

Thanks.

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Here's an attempt in Modern Greek:
    Φύλακας στον ουρανό, για πάντα στο πλευρό μου.

3. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

ΦΥΛΑΚΑΣ ΣΤΟΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟ, ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ ΣΤΟ ΠΛΕΥΡΟ ΜΟΥ (more literal)
    ΦΥΛΑΚΑΣ Τ' ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ, ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ ΣΤΟ ΠΛΕΥΡΟ ΜΟΥ (more poetic) or (if you prefer lowercase)

Φύλακας στον ουρανό, για πάντα στο πλευρό μου
    Φύλακας τ' ουρανού, για πάντα στο πλευρό μου

(oops! crossed with Perseas :))

4. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    I would suppose "Guardian" is a vocative, i.e. that you are invoking a guardian angel. In that case it should be "φύλακα", without the final sigma. Also, "ουράνιε φύλακα" (heavenly guardian) would be better than the suggested forms.

5. radagasty Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    Australia, Cantonese
    I'm not so sure that 'guardian' should be vocative, since there is no imperative.

How about simply: Φύλαξ εν τῷ οὐρανῷ, παρ᾽ἐμοὶ εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  6. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    That's the trouble with trying to translate this type of phrase; in English it's impossible to tell whether it's indicative or imperative.

7. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    Very clever. By using ancient Greek, you avoid having to decide between nominative and vocative, as in that particular word the two are identical (which is not the case in modern Greek).
    You could also say Φύλαξ ἐξ οὐρανοῦ, since if the guardian is by my side, he can't be in the sky at the same time!

8. radagasty Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    Australia, Cantonese
    > You could also say Φύλαξ ἐξ οὐρανοῦ, since if the guardian is by my side, he can't be in the sky at the same time!

True! I have to say, though, that the English original doesn't quite make sense to me, or, at least, it is not clear what exactly it means.