guessing quantity

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Na yeong, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Na yeong Junior Member

Korean
    Hello!

how can I choose the strongest guessing in three satement? I´ll put the context first:

A. If I had to guess, I would say that they're from Scotland.
    B. Chances are they're from Scotland
    C. I would even go as far as to say they're from Scotland.

which phrase is used when taking a guess that may seem extrem?

I don't know why uses this phrases seperately because these gessing phrases are same to me,

Please~ I am waiting for your help:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    'If I had to guess' means that you're very reluctant to make a guess. 'Chances are they're from Scotland' means 'it is likely that they're from Scotland'.

'I would even go so far as to say' doesn't really communicate what you want to say. It's not the expression you're looking for. It could be used this way:
    I like his Scottish accent, he doesn't sound like a foreigner. I would even go so far as to say that he sounds like a Scot!

In your context, I'd say "If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say they're from Scotland".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. Na yeong Junior Member

Korean
    Three phrases are really different usage, so I wondering that which one is the strongest guess?
    I guess about A or C?

4. Na yeong Junior Member

Korean
    Thank for your reply :) three phrases are really different usage, so I wondering that which one is the strongest guess?
    I guess about A or C? OR There is no necessity for dividing?

5. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Out of your phrases I could only use A. As I explained in my previous post, C -- "go so far as to say" doesn't really fit in here. I gave you a good example of how it should be used. :)

6. Na yeong Junior Member

Korean
    OK Actually I might think that C is correct because 'even'
    but your help I got it!! really thank you~