1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

guillotina (para cortar papel)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by alafloit, Feb 17, 2006.

1. alafloit Junior Member

catalan / galego - Spain
    Estoy interesado en saber cómo se dice en inglés "guillotina" refiriéndome a la herramienta de papelería que sirve para cortar papel. Buscándolo en el diccionario aparece "guillotine", pero no sé si en inglés también tiene el doble siginificado (a parte del curioso invento francés para cortar cabezas...).

In spanish, "guillotina", as well as the french thing to cut heads, means a tool used to cut paper. Is the same in english?

2. Ilmo

Ilmo Member Emeritus

Se llama "paper cutter" y como sinónimo se menciona "guillotine", así que usan palabras similares.

3. SVLowe Junior Member

English, England
    Si, se utilizan los dos, 'guillotine' o 'paper cutter' en ingles y tienen los mismos sentidos como en espanol.

4. GiggLiden

GiggLiden Senior Member

US
    I've also heard - and used - "photo trimmer." In fact, the photo trimmers come in two styles - straight edge, and deckled edge, kind of a zig-zag cutter for special effect.

5. eorduno Junior Member

Mexicali
    Mexico, Spanish
    Buen día,

También se le puede encontrar en algunos catálogos de artículos de oficina como "Trimming Board".

Saludos,

6. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    "guillotine" is the word we would use in Ireland for a paper cutter

7. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    In the US, a guillotine is only for cutting off people's heads. A paper cutter is a large device -- usually a square board with a sharp-edged arm that is used like a machete on a hinge -- for cutting paper.

Saludos.

8. SaritaSarang

SaritaSarang Senior Member

Oklahoma
    English - United States
    I agree completely. In the u.s, if you said guillotine, people would automatically think you wanted to cut some heads off.

9. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    Just goes to show you how language use alters from one continent or country to another.
    In Ireland it would be perfectly acceptable to use the word "guillotine" and it has been used as such to refer to a paper cutter in many offices that I have been in. Perhaps the US have a problem with the word because of the "death penalty" ... in Ireland we do not put criminals to death and so nobody would think you wanted to behead anyone (not that I am saying the US beheads people ... but perhaps that is why there is a sensitivity to the use of a word that has well lost its meaning as a device to chop someone's head off ... at least in the EU

10. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I doubt that it has anything to do with the death penalty. I think it's simply the fact that a guillotine is a specific device, and Americans don't connect that device with any others.

When I hear the word "guillotine", I think of a large blade mounted between two poles that drops down on an object to cut it. If my paper cutter looked like that, then it would be logical to call them both the same name.

11. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    Of course it doesn't have anything to do with the death penalty ... I said it in jest ... if the Americans have such a problem with the word ... they need to lighten up!! I don't know what the whole fuss is about
    guillotine is a word given to a paper cutter ... it has nothing to do with guillotine for beheading someone ... an horrendous practice that went out with the high bikes.
    A guillotine looks somewhat like a very large wooden chopping board, with a metal ruler measurement on one side to which a large knife/cutting device is attached. The paper is placed on the board, in line with the ruler and the large handled knife is brought down on the page to cut the paper. Its no big deal.
    In an office environment NOBODY would understand guillotine to refer to anything OTHER THAN A PAPER CUTTER but it would not be given the name PAPER CUTTER ... it would be given its proper name "gillotine"

12. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Where did you see a fuss being made? You stated a theory about why you think Americans don't use "guillotine" for "paper cutter", and simply I said I disagreed. Nothing in my words indicated distress, anger or impatience, and I said nothing to suggest that I might have a problem at all with the word "guillotine", the death penalty, or my countrymen's lust for gore. :rolleyes:

Chill out, dude. :D

13. SaritaSarang

SaritaSarang Senior Member

Oklahoma
    English - United States
    We understand that it has nothing to do with beheading people, but in the U.S that is not the word used for paper cutter, its used for only the device used to cut off heads, thats just the way it is, it has nothing to do with death penalties or us being uptight or whatever, its just how the word is used. No one has a problem with the word either. Show some respect for other countries use of language.

14. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Okie dokie!