1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

gum on the jeans

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    I found out suddenly that I sat on a seat where there is a gum and it stuck on my jeans. How can I express this situation?

Minun farkuilla on purukummi! On se ärsyttävää. Täytyy raaputtaa/kaapia/raapia ne! (?)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    I think you would use the -ssa ending in this case, though Finns should confirm.

Minun farkuissa on purukumia.

Personally, I would say something like:
    Minun farkkuihin on tarttunut purukumia.

3. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    The best way is to put the jeans in the deep-freezer. When the gum is frozen, it's quite easy to scrape it off.

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    In the context of scraping gum off your clothes, how would you say that the motions of raapiminen, kaapiminen and raaputtaminen differ from each other?

Kiitos

5. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In spoken language there's not much difference.

If I try to analyze the words more exactly, I'd say that:

- raapiminen usually means scratching or clawing, especially by an animal, but it can be used also ina a figurative meaning.
    - kaapiminen usually means scraping or gouging with a tool.
    - raaputtaminen usually means a slow or light work of raapiminen, often with a fingernail, and especially to erase something.

These are the first ideas that came to my mind. I hope that other Finns would add more interpretations.