1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Miwako New Member

France
    Hello! :)

I've just come across the term "gummy vitamins" in a story told from the point of view of a five-year-old girl, and I wonder what would be the appropriate translation into French?

I've thought about "vitamines gélifiées", but I'm not sure it really fits, or if it even exists in French.
    Could I simply use "bonbons gélifiés"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. lamy08 Senior Member

Je pense qu'on dirait: des ours Haribo vitaminés.
    On fait référence à la marque.

3. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

gummy can have two meanings: gélifié (this is a loan word from the German word for "rubber" used in the famous Gummi-Bears and is not used in that way in English in other contexts) and gluant (e.g., gummy rice - du riz collant -- mal réussi).

In your context the meaning depends on whether the vitamins were made to be "gummy" or have deteriorated from their original state, making them gummy...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. Miwako New Member

France
    Thank you both for your answers! :)

Je n'avais pas pensé à faire référence à la marque. Ce serait peut-être plus clair, en effet !

wildan1, I guess the vitamins were made to be gummy. I don't really have much context, unfortunately. Here is the sentence: She takes out a plastic bottle covered in stickers. "I brought gummy vitamins. Want some?"
    So I guess it's used as meaning gélifié?