gustar - subject of verb

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by rachelj1810, Feb 11, 2011.

1. rachelj1810 Member

English- Ireland
    In Spanish, why is it that "i liked" in spanish is "me gusto", however if one was to properly conjugate this using the rules of the past tense it would be " me gusté" ??? there is a similar situation with encantar.
    Also, does mucho just come in four forms: mucho, muchos, mucha and muchas that agree with the gender and number and are there any exceptions to this rule?
    Thank you very much everyone :)
  2. flljob

flljob Senior Member

México español
    Me gustó el helado.
    Sujeto-el helado.
    Verbo- gustó (tercera persona singular, pretérito)
    Me - Complemento indirecto.
  3. Mephistofeles

Mephistofeles Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    Hello, and welcome to the forums! It'd be convenient if you read first some of the forum rules for posting, like to write in the title of your thread the word or sentence you are asking about.
    Also remember you should ask one question per opened thread, if you have a second, third question, open a new thread.

For your first question, actually the literal translation for "me gustó" would be "I liked it (or him/her)". In Spanish we use the implicit subject. For "Me gusté" it would be "I liked myself".
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  4. West_Fan Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    American English, Spanish
    Literally, me gusta means 'It was pleasing to me'.

'Yo' is not the subject, the thing that is pleasing is. The 'me' is the indirect object.

That is why 'gustar' will change depending on the subject.

Me gusta la ropa
    Me gustan los gatos.

No matter what tense it is, gustar will change with its subject even if it's 'me', 'te', 'nos', 'os', 'le' or 'les'.
  5. rachelj1810 Member

English- Ireland
    Great thank you everyone, and thank you for that tip mephistofeles, i will go do that now! :)
  6. Mephistofeles

Mephistofeles Senior Member

Mexican Spanish

Just a little observation
    "Me gusta" is in present tense, so a good translation could be "It IS pleasing to me"

"Me gustó" has its equivalent in Spanish with "It WAS pleasing to me".
  7. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish

When you study "gustar", the easiest way to understand this is to rearrange the sentence.
    Me gusta el chocolate and me gustan las pizzas:

El chocolate me gusta & las pizzas me gustan

Although this is not the common arrangement, these sentences are correct.
  8. Eltraductor

Eltraductor Senior Member

British English
    Gustar is a highly irregular verb and behaves in a way in which we always need to always conjugate it in the third person. Gustar incorporates the concept of "to please"... for example...

"A mí me gusta mucho la música" (As for me, music pleases me alot).

You are correct as this concept is seen in other verbs like encantar and even doler. The verb encantar encapsulates the concept of "to love" and doler encapsulates "to cause pain"...

A tí te encantó la chica hermosa? (As for you, did you love the pretty girl?)
    A mí me duele la cabeza (As for me, my head causes me pain).

I know I perhaps haven't given the most accurate or an easy to understand explination of this, however, the conjugation of these verbs is difficult because they affect us personally, hence the requirement to include "me, te, le, nos, os, les etc."

I hope i've helped in some way :)
  9. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Hi, Eltraductor. I realise you were probably trying to simplify things and were gving only general guidelines, but the parts in red are not true.
    1) Gustar is a perfectly regular verb in its conjugation. It's just awkward for translating Spanish-English.
    2)Third person singular or plural conjugations are the most common, but other persons can be used too. Creo que (yo) le gusto = I think he likes me.
    The simplest way to get round this is to think of gustar as meaning to please, not to like, as you and others have already commented.