1. alex_vkcr Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    Rio ferdinand said this on Twitter:Thanks to all of you who support us, gutted to lose + not bring the trophy to Manchester, sorry. We will come back stronger next season.
    I would like to have one certain expresion translated, 'gutted to lose'.
    I have read all the threads about this word, and i don't still figure its meaning out correctly.
    I would like you to tell me if he either feels powerlessness when typing that on twitter in spite of having done their best or says they have lost because they did not do their best.
    If you can, please tell me as well if gutted to lose sounds common in UK & USA
    Thak you so much in advance!
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    (We're/I'm) gutted to lose: Estamos/Estoy hecho polvo por perder.

Yo no consigo deducir que él diga si hicieron todo lo posible o no. No veo nada en la frase que vaya por ahí.

(Por supuesto que hicieron todo lo posible; es decir, muy poco. Delante tenían al Barça;).)
  3. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    Gutted is a common expression for feeling extremely disappointed.
    It comes from the idiom "to have a kick in the guts (stomach)."
    Losing the final has made him feel as if someone has kicked him in the guts so he feels really terrible about it.
    e.g. I was gutted when I got my bad exam results. I was gutted when my girlfiend broke up with me. I was gutted not to get the job.

I´ve never heard of glutted.