gym / stadium

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Nov 28, 2012.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello/大家好,

The word gym (as in a gym for playing basketball, badminton, etc) in Chinese is 体育馆, right? I also remember that this word means "stadium". (at least, if I remember correctly, I think I told a taxi driver that I was trying to get to a 体育馆 once and he took me directly to the city's stadium)
    Is there a way to talk about a sports gym (opposed to 健身房) in Chinese without there being ambiguity between [gym vs. stadium]?

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks/谢谢!

2. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

My understanding:
    Stadium-no roof: 体育场, 运动场
    Stadium-indoor: 体育馆, 运动馆
    Gym-fitness and health club: 健身中心, 健身房
    Gym for playing basketball, badminton: 体育馆, 运动馆

Personally, I think Chinese is more clear on these, as you can basically distinguish them with the concept of club(健身房/健身中心), indoor stadium(体育馆/运动馆) and outdoor stadium(体育场/运动场).
    While in English, both "gym" and "stadium" has multiple meanings.
    Maybe you can tell me what's the different between that kind of gym you are talking about comparing to an indoor stadium?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thanks for your reply, SuperXW!

Oh, I suppose you are right--there are more kinds than I had thought of just now! I never really thought about differentiating stadiums with or without a roof--perhaps because I've only been to one in my life, and it had a retractable roof. (and so was perhaps both categories?)

The word is indeed ambiguous in English, it's true. It often needs an explanation in English ("work out gym".. vs "sports gym"? maybe there is a better way of saying it, but that's what I'd informally say to disambiguate them).

Since the word 体育馆 in Chinese is also slightly ambiguous (since it could be an indoor stadium or a 'sports' gym), would one say 大体育馆 (for indoor-stadium) and 小体育馆 (for a "sports gym") to make it clear, if context requires it/precision is needed? I suppose it really is simply a question of size, isn't it..

As for the difference:
    For example, a high school/elementary school/university/community centre could have a 'sports' gym in it (which would be rather small in size). A stadium would be very large (and is made especially for the purposes of having a large number of spectators watch the game).

4. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Yeah. Chinese usually don't distinguish 大运动馆 and 小运动馆. No matter it's in a school or built for Olympics, it's 运动馆/体育馆.
    Some small sports gym only have a few functions, we'll then prefer to call it 篮球馆, 羽毛球馆, 游泳馆 etc.
    A smaller outdoor-stadium or open field in schools is often called 操场.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. mm6ff8 New Member

NY, CT, or PA
    Chinese - Fuzhou
    Gyms are usually for small groups and individuals, as stadiums are for professional playing.

In China, individuals work out in gyms, clubs, and stadiums, but not much free public playgrounds.
    In America, individuals work out in free public playgrounds, gyms, and clubs, but not stadiums.