1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

há 5 anos

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by domino44, Feb 17, 2013.

1. domino44 Junior Member

English
    Olá,

I'm trying to translate this phrase: "O acordo reenquadra uma prática que já tem vindo a ser desenvolvida há cinco anos".

"The agreement reframes a practice that has already been developed for five years"

Or is it "that has already been developed five years ago?"

Obrigada!

2. LuizLeitao

LuizLeitao Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese
    As I understood, you want to translate from English into Portuguese. If so, the fwg phrase is incorrect, as highlighted in red: "O acordo reenquadra uma prática que já tem vindo a ser desenvolvida há cinco anos".

If it is an action that is finished, you should use "...que foi desenvolvida há cinco anos." If such development is ongoing, then the correct phrase would be: ...que vem sendo desenvolvida há cinco anos".

3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In this case the sense is continuous: the practice has been in place for five years. At first glance, I'd say uma prática que já tem vindo a ser desenvolvida is just a roundabout way of saying "a practice which has been in place". Further context might change my mind, but this would be my first guess.

4. domino44 Junior Member

English
    Sorry, I should have been more clear: I'm translating from Portuguese into English and I didn't know which of the two options was meant by the Portuguese phrase. Thank you both for the help.

5. Ruca Senior Member

Grande Porto
    Português Europeu

Olá,

Actually I would rather translate it as "The agreement reframes a practice that has already been under development for 5 years". I think that in Portuguese, "tem vindo a ser desenvolvida" means that it has been subject to development over that period but its developement is still not over.

6. domino44 Junior Member

English
    Here is the full paragraph for more context - it's about pharmacies providing replacement drugs to addicts:

O protocolo é hoje assinado pelo Instituto da Droga e da Toxicodependência (IDT) e pela Associação Nacional de Farmácias (ANF) e tem como alvo os utentes dos Centros de Atendimento a Toxicodependentes (CAT) que se encontrem já numa fase estável e avançada do tratamento. O acordo reenquadra uma prática que já tem vindo a ser desenvolvida há cinco anos, apenas para a metadona, e que chega actualmente a 404 toxicodependentes, através de 161 farmácias em 11 distritos.

7. domino44 Junior Member

English
    Obrigada Ruca!

8. Ruca Senior Member

Grande Porto
    Português Europeu
    Hello domino44,

Taking into consideration the full text, I would agree with Outsider. It seems that "desenvolvida" means applied/implemented/in place rather than developped. The word used in Portuguese does not seem to be the most adequate.

So, "The agreement reframes a practice that has already been applied/implemented/in place for five years." looks fine.

9. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Normally I would agree with you, but in this case I think the addition of "há cinco anos", and now of "chega actualmente a 404 toxicodependentes" points to a practice which is already in place.
    Frankly, I think the use of "tem vindo a ser desenvolvida" in this text is pedantic and awkward, but the intended meaning appears to be that the practice had already started five years before.

P.S. I see that we're in agreement now. :)

10. LuizLeitao

LuizLeitao Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese
    Just as curiosity, I observe that the word "utente", very usual in Portuguese press, is mostly unknown by Brazilian readers. In this case, we use "usuário". The very first time I read it, I needed to look it up in the dictionary. That's another proof of the uselessness of the "Acordo Ortográfico".

11. percivalpc Senior Member

"tem vindo a ser desenvolvida há cinco anos" is as irregular a construction as it comes. I completely agree with Outsider: pedantic and awkward. Not clear if it means "vem sendo desenvolvida há cinco anos", "foi desenvolvida há já cinco anos", "já tem cinco anos de desenvolvimento"... You can only guess.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  12. Casmurro

Casmurro Junior Member

Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
    Portuguese - Brazil
    "...já vem sendo desenvolvida há 5 anos." sounds better and cleaner.