1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

hôtesse d'accueil

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by vic5922, Aug 29, 2012.

1. vic5922 New Member

Paris
    French
    Bonjour,

Je voudrais savoir comme on dit en anglais "hôtesse d'accueil".
    Le contexte: C'est une hôtesse qui accueille les célébrités à l'aéroport dans le cadre d'un événement international pour leur souhaiter la bienvenue et les diriger vers une voiture.

2. la traductrice

la traductrice Senior Member

"India - Tamil"
    "A welcome host" ??

3. Martyn94 Senior Member

English
    Why not hostess: the French is clear on the point, and clearly only nubile young women are meant to apply. There used to be a US-English expression "greeter", but I suspect that is no longer current except as something mildly insulting (but then "hôtesse d'accueil" is mildly insulting, to anyone who doesn't have to make a living that way).

4. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    hostess me semble aussi le plus simple (éventuellement event hostess si elle participe à l'"évènement international" lui-même et ne fait pas qu'accueillir les invités à l'aéroport ?)

L'as-tu exclu pour une raison particulière, vic5922 ?

5. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

The Hague,Netherlands
    French-France
    Hello
    Pourquoi pas greeters ?

6. Martyn94 Senior Member

English
    Because UK English speakers would mostly not understand, and US English speakers would think that it is the guy (of either sex) who stands in the door of their local Walmart saying "have a nice day" (or whatever they do so: I am not a big Walmart shopper).

7. sarie Senior Member

New York
    English - USA
    Personally, I don't think "host" or "hostess" work that well. Those call to mind a person who is giving a party in their home or set up an event someplace else.

To my knowledge, there is not a specific word in English to convey the job you described, though I know it is a service that some people get. I think I would just say "airport greeter."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    C'est pareil en français.
    Comme "hôtesse de caisse" pour caissière, "hôtesse d'accueil" est un terme un peu pompeux calqué sur "hôtesse de l'air" *, plus chic et plus sexué qu'"agent d'accueil d'aéroport" (airport greeter, airport reception attendant, welcome officer, et les variantes).

*celle-ci a tout de même un rôle d'hôtesse plus complet

9. °° Cocotte °°

°° Cocotte °° Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Bonjour !

Je remonte ce fil parce que je n'y ai pas trouvé de réponse à la question que je me pose, ni dans les autres fils sur "hôtesse d'accueil".
    Dans mon cas je souhaite traduire "hôtesse d'accueil" au sens des personnes qui accueillent les participants à un évenement (salon, congrès, inauguration...), et doivent par exemple les inscrire, leur remettre des badges ou papiers ou autre, éventuellement les accompagner aux salles de conférences, etc...
    Dans ce cas qu'est-ce qui fonctionnerait le mieux entre "hostess", "greeter", "welcome officer" ?
    De préférence en Anglais US, si possible :)

Merci !!

10. sarie Senior Member

New York
    English - USA
    In the last case, in which the person must get a program, badges, etc., I would tell the person to go to "reception." This is usually a little table at which a number of people sit and they help you get everything for you need for your event. I would not say receptionist, because that is a job such as a secretary has. However, if you say, go to "reception" or go to the "sign-in" place, etc., I think people will know what you are talking about. I don't think that there is a word for a person--just a word for a place.

11. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    So why not "receptionist"?

12. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I'd call the person in Cocotte's example an event hostess.

13. °° Cocotte °°

°° Cocotte °° Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Thank you very much for your advice !

14. sarie Senior Member

New York
    English - USA
    Keith, I would only use "receptionist" if that was the person's job that they did every day. In my experience, events like this happen sporatically and there can be different people registering others at different events, even at different times. If the same person did that job throughout all the events, I might say receptionist. I would only use "event hostess" if it were just one person, and the person doing the registering was the most important person. In my experience, the person/group that is hosting the event (the most important person) is not the person/people that are sitting at the table registering people. Maybe I misunderstood the circumstance that Cocotte's describing, though.