habillé en petite fille

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Julie2013, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Julie2013

Julie2013 Senior Member

Indonesia
    Indonesian
    Kindly really need help :)

Sur le palier de l’escalier secret qui s’enfonçait dans l’ombre,
    un enfant attendait,un enfant au visage fin et charmant,
    aux boucles blondes et habillé en petite fille.

from : Les Milliards d'Arsène Lupin, by Maurice Leblanc (novel detective)

I dont understand why a boy use a girl dress? Is it normal at that time?

Thank you.

2. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Hi,

Well I don't remember the novel (just, I remember the young boy is called Rodolphe, he has been kidnapped, an did escape).

So perhaps he had to dress up like a girl to escape his kidnapper?

But yes, at this time a young boy could have been dressed as a little girl, if he was from a poor family. No money to buy proper clothes, so he uses the dress that his elder sister used before him. (Just a possibility, I don't know if it is the case here).

3. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

The Hague,Netherlands
    French-France
    Hello
    Dans les années 60 et probablement bien avant ça, on habillait en fille les très jeunes garçons. J'imagine pour des raisons économiques: Réutiliser les vêtements
    des aînées...Il faudra que je demande à ma mère car c'était mon cas:rolleyes:
    Il me semble que c'était au début du siècle aussi une manière de punir et d'humilier les garçons qui faisaient des bêtises

Il faut vérifier avec le contexte.

4. Julie2013

Julie2013 Senior Member

Indonesia
    Indonesian
    Thank you for your information and yes his name is Rodolphe, I dont know that this roman is so famous also not only that time. (I am from asian by the way)

Best regards

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

The Hague,Netherlands
    French-France

Hi
    It's also possible that the boy was disguised by the kidnapper when on the run...I guess we need to read the book to find out!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    I've seen pictures of my uncle in a dress and of my father with a hair clip in his hair (as toddlers of course :D) That was in the late 40s, early 50s.
    And no sisters, no money issues, so I guess it was a common habit.

7. Julie2013

Julie2013 Senior Member

Indonesia
    Indonesian
    wew...what's a surprise.Thank you for this information.:confused:

8. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    Indeed, people used to dress very young children of both sexes in the same way, i.e. in dresses. It's a very old custom, and was done in all social classes. It was also convenient when children were not toilet trained. No trousers, no underwear, no worry! When boys were a little older, they were dressed in short pants.

9. Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Very interesting! I read another explanation here. (last but one post)