hacer pereza - stay in bed - bed around

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by pomao1977, Dec 4, 2009.

1. pomao1977 Junior Member

Bogotá
    Colombia
    Is there an expression in English for "hacer pereza"? We use it in Colombia for example when you wake up on Sunday but you just feel like staying in bed and watching TV, reading a newspaper, or sth but not sleeping.

I woke up lazy this morning so I didn't get up right away. I "hice pereza" for 5 minutes and then I got up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Roger Slater Senior Member

USA, English
    I can't think of an expression that conveys this thought exactly. You might try something like "I just lounged around for 5 minutes ..." or "I just loafed for 5 minutes..." Or "dawdled" or "dallied" or "lazed about" or even "vegged out" perhaps. I like the Spanish expression better than these.

3. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote above, but in general we use the following.

If you wake up and decide not to get up, and instead sleep some more, we say "I went back to sleep (for 5 minutes)."

If you wake up and decide not to get up, but stay awake, we might say "I lay in bed (for 5 minutes) after I woke up." Or, "I lounged in bed (for 5 minutes) this morning."

If you intentionally sleep later than usual (such as on a Sunday), we say "I slept in (until 10:00) this morning."

If you unintentionally sleep later than usual (such as on a work day), we say "I overslept this morning."

4. pomao1977 Junior Member

Bogotá
    Colombia
    Thank you guys!
    Lounge around was what I was going for!
    Sorry if I mixed you up Roger. I really appreciate your help guys!

5. pomao1977 Junior Member

Bogotá
    Colombia
    I am so sorry Roger. I just realized I had omitted a couple of words that I just edited. You may want to read again. Still, you helped me solve problem!

6. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Here is what I am guessing you meant to say.

Is that right?

7. pomao1977 Junior Member

Bogotá
    Colombia
    Hey gengo,
    Thanks a million dude! I promise I will never type again if I am in a hurry. What a reckless thread I started. Thanks for the correction!